Job Title: Head of Finance and Administration
Organisation: Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Executive Director, IDI
The Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is an international non-profit organization which is a partnership of infectious diseases and public health specialists. The overall objective of the IDI is to strengthen health systems with strong emphasis on Infectious Diseases, through Research and Capacity Development. IDI has five operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research and Laboratory services (provided through a partnership with the Makerere University - John Hopkins University Core Lab) and Outreach.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the ED and the Board with sound advice relating to strategic financial management (identifying key issues including deviation from financial and business plans; diagnosing the causes; and proposing ways forward) with the emphasis on forward-looking strategic financial management information (rather than backward-looking accounting information); and most importantly provide the ED and the Board with proposals for related systems development to maximize institutional efficiency and sustainability.
- Ensure that IDI consistently maintains global standards of accountability and transparency; through engagement with internationally recognized audit firms, and maintenance of effective controls and internal audit procedures.
- Provide accurate and timely financial reports and analysis (including graphical Key Performance Indicators) to the ED, SMT members, managers of IDI business units, the Board Audit Committee, the IDI Board of Directors, and funders.
- Significantly contribute the financial and / or budgetary components of strategic plans, business plans and annual work plans; and lead annual budget-making process (including identifying and managing financial risks).
- Oversee the procurement function; to ensure transparent, cost effective procurement practices and results.
- Direct the Human Resources function; to ensure that IDI HR procedures are compliant with national legislation, and to ensure that staff are treated fairly, properly evaluated, adequately trained, and highly motivated.
- Direct the operations function; to ensure that facilities are well-maintained and functional, and fleet support is adequate, fully controlled and economical.
- Direct the property management function so that the IDI property is used to best advantage and produces maximum income to the organization.
- Manage major capital improvement programs; to ensure timely completion and cost – effective implementation.
- Offer technical support to the project audit and risk management function.
- Support the Board Secretary (Executive Director) in corporate matters, Board relations, Board committee procedures, and legal issues.
- Ensure that all IDI processes and financial matters are fully compliant with national laws and regulations, other regulatory authorities and funder conditions.
- As IDI evolves, advise the ED how the role of HFA needs to evolve in step.
- Provide the ED and the Board with sound advice relating to strategic financial management (identifying key issues including deviation from financial and business plans; diagnosing the causes; and proposing ways forward) with the emphasis on forward-looking strategic financial management information (rather than backward-looking accounting information); and most importantly provide the ED and the Board with proposals for related systems development to maximize institutional efficiency and sustainability.
- Develop annual budgets (with Executive Director, Senior Management and Financial Controller) for IDI Board approval.
- Produce monthly financial reports for management (including graphical quarterly and annual Key Performance Indicators); quarterly reports for Board Audit Committee, IDI Board and key sponsors; and periodic reports for project sponsors.
- Coordinate the annual audit on behalf of the Board Audit Committee; and all funder-specific audits.
- Actively contribute to risk assessment and periodic internal audit reviews (with Executive Director, Senior Management and Senior Manager Internal Audit & Risk Management).
- Prepare annual indirect rate audit working papers and coordinate completion of the annual indirect rate audit report.
- Ensure timely remittance of statutory claims; and maintain full compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Develop and maintain effective internal controls for all transaction processing; including field- based and cash transactions.
- Closely and systematically monitor and manage all receivables and payables; engaging the ED and other senior managers as necessary to solve any problems expeditiously.
- Ensure the completion of periodic cash and physical asset verifications.
- Prepare cash and financial projections; and ensure that adequate levels of liquidity are maintained.
- Ensure adequate investment returns are achieved on available funds.
- Maintain professional working relationships with the corporate bankers and other financial service providers.
- With the Head of Information Services and the Financial Controller, ensure that FMIS systems are secure, functional and up to date; and ensure that they meet evolving minimum statutory and institutional requirements.
- Represent IDI at Board Audit Committee meetings, and provide secretariat services for the Board Audit Committee.
- Ensure that procurement practices result in transparent, cost effective procurement results.
- Ensure that financial, and related, policies and procedures are periodically updated and approved.
- Monitor ongoing capital development needs and, with the ED, explore options for funding.
Procurement: Direct the procurement team to:
- Maintain and enhance transparent, efficient and effective procurement systems.
- Ensure the procurement function meets the evolving needs of the institution and its projects in keeping with global good practice.
- Ensure the procurement function optimizes use of IT.
- Ensure that procurement policies and procedures are periodically updated and approved
Human Resources: Direct the HR team to :
- Maintain and enhance transparent, efficient and effective systems for HR management – including, among other things, staff recruitment, compensation, talent management and retention, and evaluation.
- Direct the staff training function to ensure cost effective fulfillment of training needs (with Heads of Departments).
- Support staff in achieving career goals within, or outside, IDI.
- Ensure full compliance with applicable labour codes and legislation; and Board directives related to labour relations.
- With the ED, develop succession plans for key management positions.
- Ensure that HR policies and procedures are periodically updated, approved, and appropriately disseminated.
- Act as Institute liaison for major capital projects; to ensure timely completion and value for money (including coordination with funders, architects, project managers, general contractors, sub –-contractors, and approving agencies).
- With the Operations Manager, ensure that all program and project facilities and equipment are professionally maintained, repaired and upgraded.
- With the Operations Manager, ensure that institutional and project vehicles are well maintained, efficiently operated and used for authorized purposes.
- With the Operations Manager, ensure that Institute stores are effectively managed and adhere to appropriate standards of accountability.
- With the Operations Manager and HR Manager, ensure that the Occupational Health, Safety and Environment Policy (OHSE Policy) is maintained and implemented.
- Ensure that all IDI property (both owned and rented) is used to best advantage to achieve the programmatic objectives of the organisation and all appropriate steps are taken to produce maximum return to the organisation.
- Maintain a space allocation plan and, in consultation with the ED and senior management, allocate adequate space for the effective delivery of programme objectives.
- Support the Board Secretary (ED) in maintaining corporate registrations and full compliance with Companies Act requirements.
- Support the Board Secretary with IDI Board and Committee meeting preparations and follow-up.
- Support the Board Secretary with Annual General Meeting preparations and follow- up.
- Act as Institute liaison with counsel, for all legal matters.
- Ensure that IDI has appropriate property and liability insurance continually in force.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should be a Current ACCA professional qualification with a Bachelor’s degree, preferably Masters, degree in business administration, or a related discipline.
- At least fifteen years of relevant, progressive experience and a demonstrable ability to grasp issues relating to strategic financial management and related systems development.
- Seven or more years should be at senior management level involving strategic financial planning and management; including significant Board and key stakeholder interaction, and experience in management of internal audit and risk (and associated systems improvement).
- Extensive experience with non- profit NGOs , with multiple resource streams.
- Demonstrated skill in team building, leadership, and staff motivation.
- Well-developed negotiation and consensus-building skills.
- Demonstrated skill and experience in directing the Human Resources function; including HR systems development, administration, staff training and career development.
- Functional experience in coordinating construction; and also in ensuring accountability in large scale, field based development activities.
- Sectoral experience in health care, education, medical research, and / or laboratory services.
- Familiarity with facilities and fleet management.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their application cover letters with a detailed CV, naming at least two professional referees to:
The Human Resources Manager,
Infectious Diseases Institute,
P.O. Box 22418, Kampala, Uganda
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Deadline: 13th May, 2016 by 5:00 PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline