Organisation: Law Development Centre (LDC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Director
The LDC has a mandate to provide legal education to lawyers and non-lawyers, undertake research in topical legal issues, contribute to legal reform, produce legal publications, teaching materials, law reports and also provide community legal services.
Job Summary: The Head Department of Post-Graduate Legal Studies and Legal Aid will provide academic leadership for staff within the department and to take responsibility for determining the strategic direction of the department. The incumbent will contribute to the strategic development and implementation of the LDC vision, policies and procedures. The jobholder will also manage the provision of Legal Aid Services by LDC.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the process of timetabling and allocating subjects to Lecturers.
- The incumbent will initiate and coordinate the development, review and update of curricula.
- Manage the preparation of teaching materials, teaching and student assessments.
- Co-ordinate the process of evaluation and review of the syllabi and programmes.
- Work closely with the Academic Registrar in co-ordinating invigilation and marking of examinations.
- Co-ordinate clerkship programmes.
- Teach, set and mark examinations in accordance with the syllabus.
- Facilitate the development of research, consultancy, and scholarly activities which will enhance the academic reputation of the department, and, contribute to the personal development of academic staff.
- Supervise and assess the performance of staff in the department
- Coordinate and oversee Legal Aid Clinic programmes and activities.
- The incumbent will develop and implement departmental work plans and budgets.
- Prepare departmental performance reports and other relevant reports.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold an LLB (Hons) degree from a recognized university.
- Hold a Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre.
- LLM from a recognized university will be an added advantage.
- The applicant must be an enrolled member of the Uganda Bar.
- A minimum of ten years’ experience in private or public legal practice, or teaching law in a recognized Institution of Higher Learning.
- Broad knowledge of curriculum development at the tertiary level.
- Broad knowledge of coordinating academic programs.
- Demonstrated ability to command the confidence of the department, the Centre and Stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and leadership skills.
- Computer literacy skills
- Ability to evaluate, measure and advise on policy and procedures for academic operations.
- Be a person of impeccable integrity.
- Evidence of successful leadership and management experience at appropriate level e.g. Head of subject, programme leader, or at another institution particularly in times of change or evident capability in this area.
- Evident commitment to deliver the department’s strategic aims.
- Successful management of resources (money, people etc.) related to the furtherance of teaching, academic quality and the development of programmes.
- Excellent communication and consultative skills.
- Good appreciation of departmental/Centre business/collaborative opportunities and how to pursue them.
- Evident appreciation of the importance of good relationships with students; and experience of taking successful initiatives in relation to developing the student experience at departmental level
- Evidence of ability to deal sensitively with concerns/complaints raised by students.
- Good judgement and decision–making capability – particularly where political, academic and institutional priorities might conflict or information is not complete.
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications addressed to The Secretary, Law Development Center, P.O. Box 7117 Kampala either via post or hand delivery to the Law Development Centre Reception. The applicants should attach up-to-date Curriculum Vitae, Certified copies of academic and other relevant documents and indicate names and contacts of three (3) referees, two professional and one character.
Deadline: 27th May, 2016 by 5.00pm.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline