Job Title: General Ledger Accountant
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 85,000 employees, we operate a network of more than 1,800 offices and laboratories around the world. SGS has been appointed by the Ministry of Works and Transport (MoWT) to implement the Mandatory Vehicle Inspection Services (MVIS) programme involving the development, installation and operation of vehicle inspection centers on a national scale to improve road safety by assuring -the road worthiness of vehicles m circulation in Uganda.
Job Summary: The General Ledger Accountant will provide timely assistance to the financial controller in the month end and year end closing process for both group and statutory reporting purposes. The incumbent will also provide supervisory support to junior staff in the finance department.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Render support in the preparation of monthly financial statements and accompanying schedules, including budget vs. actual variance reports and supporting narratives, providing follow-up and documentation of significant variances identified.
- Ensure that all accurate and timely closure of financial statements in accordance with group accounting manual and group reporting requirements.
- In charge of the preparation and submission of monthly statutory returns of VAT, PAYE and NSSF in line with statutory/ regulatory requirements.
- In charge of the oversight of the fixed asset register to ensure compliance to group accounting manual in accounting for fixed assets and reconciliation of the same to SUN system register.
- Responsible for the preparation of monthly bank reconciliations for review by the financial controller including follow up of long oustanding reconciling items identified.
- Preparation of recurrent journal entries for review by the financial controller.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidates for the SGS General Ledger Accountant should hold a Bachelor’s degree in commerce/ accounting or business related course
- Professional accounting qualification i.e. ACCA/ CIMA/CPA.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of International Accounting Standards, International Financial Reporting Standards as well as working knowledge of local tax laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of accounting software and other computer applications e.g. MS Word , MS Excel etc. Previous experience in working with SUN system is an added advantage.
- A minimum of four years’ working experience in a similar role in a busy organisation.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent numeric skills with strong attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Attentive to customer queries and pro-activeness in solving problems
- High standards of integrity and expected to comply with SGS Code of Integrity and Professional Conduct at all times
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan candidates are encouraged to apply online at the link below. The applicants are required to upload an application / cover letter in Pdf / Microsoft Word format stating the current and expected salary, daytime contacts, detailed Curriculum Vitae with three professional referees and copies of certificates.
Deadline: 5th June 2016 by 5.00 pm.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline