Job Title: Research Associate, Data Analysis
Organization: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA designs, rigorously evaluates, and refines these solutions and their applications together with decision-makers to ensure that the evidence created is used to improve opportunities for the world's poor. Since our founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 350 leading academics to conduct over 450 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
Job Summary: The Research Associate, Data Analysis will assist in the cleaning, analysis and presentation of data collected over several months of fieldwork for the SMS Arua Project. The position is short term, and will last for approximately two months. The study (SMS Arua) evaluates a text message platform that allows citizens in Arua District, Uganda to send free, anonymous messages about public service deficiencies directly to the district government. Data collection exercises have included, among other things, social network analyses, data from public service providers, and governmental administrative data. The Principal Investigators for this study are Guy Grossman (University of Pennsylvania), Jonathan Rodden (Stanford), and Melina Platas Izama (Stanford).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Using STATA to clean, analyze and visualize survey data.
- In charge of coordinating closely with all the actors involved in the project, including other Research Associates, IPA, Social Impact, USAID, GAPP, and the Principal Investigators (PI)
- Liaising closely with PIs to analyze and present data collected during fieldwork
- In charge of writing and presenting results for eventual publication
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Research Associate, Data Analysis vacancy should hold a Bachelor’s degrees in Economics, Social Sciences (please indicate quantitative coursework), Political Science (please indicate quantitative coursework), Public Policy (please indicate quantitative coursework), Statistics, Mathematics or equivalent.
- Strong preference for current or matriculated masters students in the above listed fields
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred
- Highly advanced data analysis and programming skills in STATA
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and flexibly with a preference for prior experience working remotely and/or digitally
- Fluency in English with strong communication skills
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should complete the J-PAL/IPA common application online, Click Here. After completing a brief registration, choose the Research job category, then select “Temporary Research Associate, Data Analysis” Most applications for research positions require you to include at minimum two letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose (cover letter), CV, and transcripts.
Note that you are able to submit your application before your references complete their recommendation letters; however, you must include their contact information before submitting your application.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline