Job Title: Mail Room Clerk
Organisation: United States Embassy in Uganda (US Mission)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Vacancy Announcement Number: 50-16
Vacancy Announcement Number: 50-16
Salary: FSN-3 (Ugshs 26,129,104 to 38,192,034 p.a. inclusive of allowances)
About US Embassy:
Welcome to the United States Embassy in Kampala, Uganda. The United States has enjoyed diplomatic relations with Uganda for over 30 years. Ambassador Deborah R. Malac currently heads the U.S Mission to Uganda. The Mission is composed of several offices and organizations all working under the auspices of the Embassy and at the direction of the Ambassador.
Among the offices operating under the U.S Mission to Uganda are:
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Centers for Disease Control
- Peace Corps
Job Summary: The U.S. Mission Mailroom processes thousands of parcels of mail annually, both incoming and outgoing, and disburses to various departments and agencies in a timely and efficient manner. The jobholder performs mail clerk duties with a primary responsibility for the overall receipt, inspection, distribution, and dispatch of diplomatic pouch mail, courier service, and local mail. Mail service is provided to 6 agencies i.e. DOS, USAID, CDC, NIH, PC, DOD resident at Post. The incumbent also serves as backup receptionist/telephone operator at the Chancery.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effectively and professionally, interface with customers, responding to all customer issues, complaints, concerns and questions that arise.
- Checks outgoing mail for authorized use, proper addresses, adequate postage, enclosures, weight limits, and return address.
- Seals pouches, wraps, or otherwise prepares official mail for mailing.
- The jobholder conducts trips the Entebbe airport to receive incoming mail.
- Keeps logs of incoming and outgoing correspondence and packages.
- Prepares the documentation and contents for the diplomatic pouches and registers outgoing mail.
- Scans incoming DPO mail for restricted materials.
- Distribute DPO mail and diplomatic pouch mail.
- Assist in receipt and delivery of courier packages, monitor and order the mailroom expendable supplies.
- On-line pouch tracking responsibilities, data entry, filing, sorting and distribution of letter-mail.
- Use a computer to keep records of incoming and outgoing items and prepare mailroom logs and workload counts
- Perform a variety of messenger and delivery duties to ensure timely distribution of messages, mail, fax, printed materials and various supplies to sites and departments and other agencies. Process all outgoing mail according to postal and internal rules and regulations.
- File, photocopy and perform other clerical duties to insure smooth running operation.
- The jobholder will unload, move and store incoming supply shipments.
- Ensure continuous and efficient operation support for all members and employees. Maintain special mail services, supplies, and records.
- File and maintain "inactive" mail records.
- Assist in the maintenance of photocopying and duplicating machines and provide photocopying services.
- The jobholder handles, cleans offset press at conclusion of runs and oils, greases and performs minor maintenance on press as necessary.
- Collates, assembles and staples or binds multi page duplicating jobs.
- Fills ink reservoir, filling paper magazine and making complex adjustment to produce good quality copies.
- Operates minor maintenance of photocopying machines.
- Continually observes the proper use of photocopiers.
- Perform any other administration department related business errands and duties as required
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
- The ideal candidate for the US Embassy Mailroom Clerk job opportunity should have completed secondary school (O and A ‘Level).
- One and half years of mail handling experience are required either in a diplomatic or government organization.
- Working knowledge and understanding of mail handling procedures, office duplicating, and computers.
- Working knowledge of computers and word processing functions is required. Level 1 typing - 30 w.p.m. is required. Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. Previous packing experience helpful. Prior experience in running various office machines (Copier, paper cutter, folding machine, postage meter, and collator) is required.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and writing skills.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and attention to detail.
- Ability to learn new concepts quickly, and be self-motivated.
- Language Proficiency: Level III English and Level II Luganda ability is required.
How to Apply:
All those interested in working with the US mission in Kampala should send their applications and strictly adhere to the following:
- Download a completed and signed Universal Application for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff, Download it Here.
- Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g. transcripts, degrees, etc.)
Submit Application To:
Human Resources Office
By email at KampalaHR@state.gov
NB: Your application will be reviewed if you have fulfilled all the requirements including submission of standard file types such as Microsoft Word (.doc) and Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) in a single attachment (No Zipped files, Links or Multiple Attachments) and should not exceed 10MB. Please clearly indicate the position number and title you are applying for on the DS-174 form.
Deadline: 6th June 2016
The US Mission in Kampala provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline