Job Title: Programme Officer, Development Policy
Organisation: European Union (EU)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The European Union (EU) is a unique economic and political partnership between 28 European countries that together cover much of the continent. The EU was created in the aftermath of the Second World War. The first steps were to foster economic cooperation: the idea being that countries who trade with one another become economically interdependent and so more likely to avoid conflict. The result was the European Economic Community (EEC), created in 1958, and initially increasing economic cooperation between six countries: Belgium, Germany, France, Italy, Luxembourg and the Netherlands. Since then, a huge single market has been created and continues to develop towards its full potential.
Job Summary: The Programme Officer will offer support in the implementation of the National Authorising Officer (NAO) in monitoring EU EDF (European Development Fund) funded activities. The incumbent will be tasked with policy development and act as a key liaison with the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development as the EU National Authorising Officer.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Policy Analysis:
- Actively contribute to the programming of the 11th EDF, in particular the Technical Support Programme (TSP) that will aim to support the National Authorising Officer in planning, implementing and monitoring EU funded programmes, as well close the implementation and closure of projects under the 10th EDF
- Maintain regular dialogue with the National Authorising Officer, including the preparation of monthly meetings, portfolio review meetings, as well providing guidance to the Head of Cooperation for the quarterly EU-NAO meetings.
- Follow up jointly with the EU press and information staff on planned visibility activities. The main mandate will be the administrative and project management side of visibility activities.
- Keenly review procurement tender dossiers and prepare contracts in line with EU technical and financial procedures.
- Follow up on the aid effectiveness dialogue and implementation.
2. Project management:
- Backstop project and programme management to ensure that all the necessary conditions (institutional, budgetary, logistical, etc.) are met when executing programmes/ projects.
- Ensure appropriate evaluation and reporting on programme/ project execution.
- Manage and backstop all aspects of the project cycle including procurement processes, project identification, project monitoring, and project evaluations, reporting and proposing appropriate remedial action if and when needed.
- Maintain contacts with other development partners active in Uganda.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate will have a degree in business administration, economics, social sciences or related discipline with preferably a specialisation in project management.
- A minimum of three years of related working experience in project management including development partner funded projects.
- Effective analytical skills and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Computer literacy skills with regard to MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates seeking to join the European Union Delegation in Uganda should send an application letter, a completed EU Standard Curriculum Vitae, download here, that must include three relevant referees, reference letter(s) of previous employment(s)and copies of education and training certificates addressed to:
Head of Delegation
Delegation to the Republic of Uganda
Crested Towers, 15th floor
Plot 17-23 Hannington Road
Email to: DELEGATION-UGANDA@eeas.europa.eu
NB: Please clearly indicate: Application – Temporary Programme Officer, Economic Growth Section in the subject of the E-mail.
Deadline: 19th May, 2016 by 13:30 Hours
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline