Organization: Malaria Consortium
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: ACCESS-SMC Project Director
Salary: USD 53,100 gross per annum
About Malaria Consortium:
Malaria Consortium is the world’s leading not-for-profit organisation dedicated to the comprehensive control of malaria and other communicable diseases in Africa and Southeast Asia. Malaria Consortium works with communities, government and non-government agencies, academic institutions, and local and international organisations, to ensure good evidence supports delivery of effective services, providing technical support for monitoring and evaluation of programmes and activities for evidence-based decision-making and strategic planning. Malaria Consortium works to improve not only the health of the individual, but also the capacity of national health systems, which helps relieve poverty and support improved economic prosperity.
ACCESS- Seasonal Malaria Chemoprevention SMC is a UNITAID-funded project, led by Malaria Consortium in partnership with Catholic Relief Services, which is scaling up access to seasonal malaria chemoprevention across the Sahel to save children’s lives. This three year project is supported by London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, Management Sciences for Health, Medicines for Malaria Venture, and Speak Up Africa. It will provide up to 30 million SMC treatments annually to 7.5 million children less than five years of age in Burkina Faso, Chad, Guinea, Mali, Niger, Nigeria and The Gambia, potentially averting 49,000 deaths due to malaria. ACCESS-SMC is the largest project of its kind for SMC interventions, and will play a pivotal role in making SMC a viable and cost-effective option for malaria prevention and control for countries in the Sahel.
Job Summary: The M&E Specialist, Seasonal Malaria Chemoprevention will develop the existing M&E framework and tools, and put in place data quality assurance processes to ensure the timeliness of data entry and analysis. The M&E Specialist will coordinate the implementation of the ACCESS-SMC M&E plans by countries and partners. The M&E Specialist will also provide technical support to and build capacity of project country teams in Nigeria, Burkina Faso and Chad to ensure quality data is entered at country level, as well as guide the harmonization of M&E approaches across the 7 target countries and possibly other countries in the Sahel. The M&E specialist shall also contribute to Malaria Consortium’s knowledge management activities through participation in M&E working groups and communities of practice.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take lead in ensuring data quality and validation of the overall project’s M&E environment and oversee all aspects of the performance measurement support for the project.
- The incumbent will develop tools and systems, such as data repositories, M&E tools, guidelines and other reference documents for M&E to ensure harmonized data collection systems. .
- Work closely with partners and country teams to review and monitor project-based M&E plans to track results or fill identified gaps in current M&E plans and outputs.
- Conduct data verification and quality control exercises at a global level as well as in project countries, and lead on improvement of data quality.
- Work in liaison with the Project Management Team, National Malaria Control Programmes (NMCP) and partners to strengthen capacity in the areas of data management, monitoring and evaluation within the framework of the ACCESS-SMC M&E Strategy as well as M&E best practices;
- Ensure that all project staff has a clear understanding of the results framework including definitions.
- Work with in-country M&E officers or focal points s to determine technical needs and collaborate with the Africa Technical Director to develop and resource quarterly technical support plans.
- Update and adapt the ACCESS-SMC M&E Strategy and performance indicators as required.
- Prepare draft quarterly M&E reports for review by the Project Director and support the reporting of project performance to the donor.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with the UNITAID M&E department and with projects partners.
- Supervise M&E staff and consultants in-country and at regional level.
- Actively contribute to strategic discussions on the project and its continuation opportunities.
- Work with the Africa Technical Director, the Public Health Specialist and Global Technical Team members to ensure data is available for ACCESS-SMC publications related to the project.
- Sit as a member of Malaria Consortium’s M&E Community of Practice to support work that establishes and maintains standards, guidelines and quality assurance mechanisms in M&E, and contribute to cross organizational learning in this area.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Malaria Consortium M&E Specialist, Seasonal Malaria Chemoprevention career opportunity should hold a Master’s degree in public health or a related field
- Significant experience in leading M&E processes, including routine health data management and survey data management and analysis for large project and for public health research in resource-constrained settings, preferably in Africa.
- Proven proficiency in statistical software such as STATA, EPI info, or similar, specifically for analysis of public health data and large datasets
- Previous experience with quantitative and qualitative research methodologies
- Broad knowledge and understanding of health systems strengthening, especially on HMIS and other databases (with a focus on malaria programming).
- Fluency in written and spoken French and with a good working knowledge of English
- Excellent problem solving, planning and organizing skills
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
- Previous experience of working closely with Ministries of Health and other stakeholders
- Able to work effectively as part of a diverse team
- Ability and willingness to travel to remote areas within the Sahel region
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, presentation and negotiation skills
How to Apply:
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply online at the web link below.
Deadline: 26th May, 2016 at 11:59 pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline