Job Title: Driver
Organisation: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Logistics Assistant
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 36 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
Job Summary: The post refers to a trained driver possessing a valid driving license and understanding of the mechanics of a vehicle. The person in the position shall have a correct attitude in the traffic, sensible conduct of driving in different terrains and respect for the authorities and traffic laws in general. The two main objectives for the driver are 1) the safety of the passengers and 2) the flawless condition of the vehicle at all times.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive the assigned vehicle in a correct and sensible manner in adherence to this job description, weather and road conditions at all times.
- Adhere to the maximum speed limits for DDG vehicles – 50km/h on a dirt road, 100km/h on a tarmac. When the road conditions are poor, drive as slowly as necessary to facilitate safe passage to the passengers and ensure no damage to the vehicle.
- Maintain the vehicle and the vehicle equipment in perfect shape and report any issues with regards to repairs, need for re-supply or damages, to the Logistics Assistant.
- Provide overall maintenance services to the assigned vehicle or any other DRC vehicle in coordination with the car owner. This includes minor repairs of vehicles and vehicle equipment.
- Maintain and update all transport records including vehicle logbooks, maintenance and service records in coordination with the car owner and the Logistics Assistant.
- Report the need to top up fuel card when balance is 500,000/=.
- Where appropriate, maintain the vehicle communications (HF, VHF) in accordance with the call signs, terminology and radio discipline provided by DRC. Report any non-functioning communications equipment to Logistics Assistant.
- Perform any other vehicle logistics related task instructed by the Logistics Assistant or Project Manager.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a valid driving permit and experience of four years preferably with an NGO
- The Driver should be highly organized, structured and able to work under minimal supervision.
- Responsible, with a high sense of integrity and team spirit
- Flexible and willing to work extra hours when required
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship skills
- Ability to speak English
- Knowledge of the local languages spoken in the operation area is an asset.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan candidates should send their applications including;
- A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria and please indicate your salary expectations
- Updated and detailed -The CV should include information about your qualifications, relevant training courses, work experience, and name and contact details of three relevant references.
The complete application package should be sent to: email@example.com or make a hand delivery to our office in Kyaka.
Deadline: 9th May 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline