Job Title: Counsellor
Organization: Mildmay Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Counselling Coordinator
Mildmay Uganda is a faith- based local Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) offering Comprehensive HIV Care & treatment, Training, Research & General Medical Services; also providing Health Systems Strengthening to scale up comprehensive HIV/AIDS Services in 16 districts of Central Uganda.
Job Summary: The Counsellor Coordinator will provide MUg clients with quality counselling interventions that support reduction in health risk behaviours, promote adherence and coping abilities, and retention into care by actively referring and linking clients to other services
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The incumbent will provide quality counselling services to MUg Clients, their families and supported communities; that empower them to cope with prevailing situations, make informed decisions and live positively for improved quality of life
- Actively participate in capacity building activities within the department and in liaison with the Training and Education function to build knowledge and skills of health workers in Counselling so as to improve counselling services both at MUg and supported sites
- Provide and maintain High quality counselling services to the clients and their families, guided by Standard counselling guidelines
- Effectively utilize and account for departmental funds received for planned activities so as to achieve departmental goals using the available resources
- Take part in and support the efficient and effective team working in the Counselling department to deliver quality and cohesive counselling interventions that support improved health outcomes for MUg clients and supported sites
- Actively participate in creation of strong linkages and good collaboration within the communities and other stakeholders, so as to increase demand for services and contribute to the overall organizational goals
- Actively participate in operational research as part of departmental undertakings and in liaison with Research and Strategic Information department to demonstrate best practices and contribute to new knowledge.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Bachelor’s degree in guidance and counseling / clinical psychology
- Possession of a Post graduate diploma in child counseling or related field desirable
- The applicant should be a registered member of Uganda Counselling Association (UCA)
- A minimum of three years’ clinical counselling work experience
- Working knowledge and experience of HIV/AIDS care issues
- Knowledge of Ministry of health and local government systems
- Knowledge in counselling adults and children
- Working knowledge in HIV & AIDS counselling
- Good listening skills
- Good writing skills
- Good mentorship and coaching skills
- Good presenting skills
- Good organisational skills
- Good training skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Computer literacy i.e. Proficiency in various MS Office packages
- Working knowledge of English and local languages
- Hard working, trust-worthy, and holding the highest levels of integrity and confidentiality.
- The applicant must also be flexible, reliable, and in sympathy with the Christian values of Mildmay Uganda.
- Evidence of a non-judgemental approach regarding race, religion, culture, sexuality and lifestyle is critical.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their interest to The Human Resource Manager at Mildmay Uganda, Entebbe Road, Lweza, Kampala, Uganda at email@example.com clearly indicating in the subject of the email, the position applied for or through P.O. Box 24985, Kampala. Certified copies of academic transcripts, a full CV indicating current salary and other benefits should be provided, and two professional referees (one of which should be a former employer).
Deadline: 30th May, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline