Organisation: Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF)
Project Name: Vegetable Oil Development Project Phase 2 (V0DP2)
Funding Source: International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Project Manager
The Vegetable Oil Development Project Phase 2 (V0DP2) is implemented by the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF) funded by IFAD and Government of Uganda (GOU). The V0DP2 goal is to contribute to sustainable poverty reduction in the project area. The Development objective is to increase the domestic production of vegetable oil and its’ by products, thus raising rural incomes for smallholder producers and ensuring the supply of affordable vegetable oil products to Ugandan consumers and neighboring regional markets. VODP2 has three components; the Oil palm Development Component, the Oilseeds Development Component and the Project Management Component. Through the project, Government of Uganda is investing in the development of oilseed crops (sunflower, soybean, sesame & groundnuts) value chains in fifty one districts in Eastern and Northern Uganda, and cultivation of oil palm in Kalangala and Buvuma Districts.
Job Summary: The Communication and Knowledge Management Officer will be tasked with knowledge management and communication; coordinates learning and communication both internally and externally.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In charge of enhancing the public profile of the project and its stakeholders, including updating the knowledge management systems for managing relations with the media locally and internationally;
- Responsible for documenting best practices and case stories show casing the project activities for sharing with the public through local and international media;
- Ensuring targeted and relevant documentation and communications related to the Project and other communication messages are managed and carried out properly. This includes written, audio, visual, web-based, and other forms of communication;
- In charge of revamping and implement the project knowledge management and communication strategy;
- Work in liaison with the M&E department, systematically compile lessons learned from project implementation suitable for dissemination, and take lead in branding and production of project communications materials;
- Managing media relations and ensure a positive and accurate image of the project in both local and international media;
- Following up closely and contributing to the Knowledge Management/ Communication aspects of the TORs of service providers during the procurement process;
- Performing any other duties that may be assigned from time to time by the supervisor Project Manager/supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Communication and Knowledge Management Officer vacancy should be a Ugandan with a Master’s degree in a communication related discipline, such as Mass Communication; International Relations; Language, Literature and Communication Skills;
- A minimum of four years’ work experience in a related field, two of which should be working with government/donor projects or corporate institutions;
- Broad knowledge and understanding of aspects of technical writing to suit different categories of audiences;
- Previous exposure and experience working with the media and different stakeholders, as well as events management;
- Proven ability to maintain a website and use of social media channels to communicate with the public about the project;
- Ability to network, relationship and partnership building to bring together various stakeholders for purposes of policy dialogue.
- Excellent writing and documentation skills, as well as the ability to capture relevant audio-visual and online materials, produce print materials for various audiences, and share these with all stakeholders.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
How to Apply:
All interested candidates should send sealed applications, curriculum vitae and copies of the academic documents should be submitted to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries, Open Registry, P.O. Box 102, Entebbe, Uganda. Please indicate the position being applied for on top of the envelope.
Deadline: 27th May 2016.