Job Title: Business Development Mentor
Organisation: GOAL International
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: WASH Programme Advisor
GOAL is an international humanitarian agency dedicated to alleviating the suffering of the poorest of the poor. We are a non-denominational, non-governmental and non-political organisation. GOAL Uganda country project focuses on two of GOAL’s three strategic sectors: Health (including WASH and health accountability programming); and Livelihoods. GOAL Uganda mainstreams HIV, gender, child protection and the environment/DRR across all programming. GOAL works on a district focused approach, and uses a mixture of direct implementation and partnerships with local civil society organisations, private sector partners and District Local Government to give effect to our mission.
Job Summary: The Business Development Mentor will offer technical support, direction, and mentoring for the market based programming towards the provision of sustainable WASH services in Bugiri and Namayingo. This will encompass conducting M4P market research, assessment of potential business partners, developing and testing business prepositions, managing the relationship between GOAL, Local Government and the private sector partners, business development support to micro businesses, financial services linkages for water and sanitation businesses. The jobholder will provide business development technical expertise to the programme.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Programme Quality Assurance:
- Carry out due diligence through profiling and assessing potential business partners.
- Coach and mentor private sector companies engaged in repair and maintenance, sanitation marketing, faecal sludge management to effectively execute WASH service delivery and improve entrepreneur capacity.
- Support the roll out of mobile banking for water user fees with a telecom company to enhance safe, transparent banking of the water user fees within beneficiary communities and support the transition of administrative responsibilities related to handling KYC forms to Airtel.
- The jobholder will identify needs, opportunities, gaps and constraints in potential water and sanitation markets, models and private sector companies.
- Support private partner organizations to ensure that WASH programme is implemented within the approved programme plans, budgets, donor requirements, international best practice and the GOAL Codes of Conduct.
- Keep the WASH Programme Advisor informed about issues arising and required areas of support.
- Carry out assessment of private sector partners in the areas of governance, sales, customer care, documentation, communication, human resource, business planning and finance
- Provide regular (monthly) hands on mentorship to small businesses with a specific focus on governance, sales and marketing and financial management.
- Work closely with the MEL Officer who provide monitoring support to ensure that the programme staff adheres to information management requirements.
- Ensure technical quality of implementation through training and coaching and monitoring of private partner staff.
- Provide technical support in the operational planning of project implementation and ensure that district level structures are fully involved in the implementation of the project.
- Ensure that the project seeks synergy from all related program interventions within GOAL Uganda and at the district /sub county level so as to achieve maximum results.
- Mentor the WASH team in business and marketing elements of these SME’s, including a review of the business model and an analysis of the supply chain.
2. Co-ordinate Partnership:
- Co-ordinate all project financial and mobile banking service providers
- The jobholder will oversee all market-based WASH activities in Bugiri and Namayingo maintaining regular contact with all private sector partners and the District local government.
- Support business partner in identification of their technical capacity building needs and to develop plans and identify the technical support required.
- Serve as a field-based liaison between private partners and GOAL.
3. Reporting and Monitoring:
- Prepare and submit programme reports that are of good quality, accurate, timely and meet GOAL and donor requirements.
- Support partners to apply rigorous use of monitoring and evaluation instruments to ensure that the project goals and objectives are met and implementation is on-track.
- Build on the achievements realized from other related projects and strive to ensure sustainability of services
- Ensure that data is collected, professionally documented and where appropriate analyzed to ensure proper record keeping.
- Document successes, failures and lessons leamt and share internally and externally as may be requested by management.
- Provide technical feedback to GOAL and partners based upon observations in reports and from field visits.
- Actively represent GOAL on all appropriate WASH fora and provide detailed reports and plans of GOAL activities to the District
- Conduct self in a professional manner and maintain GOAL’s standards of ethics and integrity
- Act and abide by GOAL Uganda’s Human Resources Policy, maintaining confidentiality
- Perform any other activities as assigned by the line manager
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Master’s degree in business or entrepreneurship subject.
- At least six years’ experience in business development or entrepreneurship is preferred
- Previous exposure and experience in providing technical advice to small and medium enterprises in Uganda and elsewhere.
- Knowledgeable and understands how businesses work, what determines success or failure (both within businesses themselves and within the operating environment).and how entrepreneurs make
- Working knowledge and experience in business financing for SME’s is desired
- Broad knowledge and understanding of mobile money services
- Knowledge of the WASH sectors desirable
- Excellent networking, communication and writing skills
- Strong marketing and sales experience
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should send their applications which must include at least 4 reference contacts (2 professional, 2 character references, including your supervisor and the most recent/previous employer), and daytime contact number to; The Human Resource Manager, GOAL Uganda via E-mail to: AdminKampala@ug.goal.ie
NB: Please do not attach certificates and indicate the Position applied for in the email subject.
Deadline: 20th May 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline