Job Title: Africa Program Manager
Organisation: Right To Play (RTP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Vice President Africa Programs
Right To Play (RTP) is a global organization that uses the transformative power of play to educate and empower children facing adversity. Through playing sports and games, RTP helps over one million children learn through play to create better futures, while driving lasting social change in more than 20 countries each week. Founded in 2000 by social entrepreneur and four-time Olympic gold medallist Johann Olav Koss, RTP is headquartered in Toronto, Canada and has national fundraising offices in Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Regional offices are in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East.
Job Summary: The Africa Program Manager supports the leadership of the country teams in fulfilling the goals of Right To Play through development, planning and implementation of strategic and operational plans, field policies and strategies in the assigned region. The incumbent leads in identifying areas of program development and project interventions in line with the Regional Office strategic objectives and country plans; provides continuous support to personnel in the region to enhance program effectiveness and staff welfare. In line with the Africa Programs’ strategic objectives and country plans, the Africa Program Manager oversees and ensures effective achievement of program goals and supports the Vice President in overall management of the Africa Office, Country Offices and project teams in the assigned region.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Program design, development and management (40% of Time):
- Provides leadership, guidance and support to the Africa Programs Team;
- The incumbent guides country teams to develop and deepen programmatic thinking and design;
- Offers support in the design of innovative programs that better address the needs of children and youth in the Africa region;
- Guides country teams in the development of country strategic plans, annual plans, and proposals;
- Ensures smooth implementation of project administration and logistics;
- Works closely with project teams in the development of individual capacity of country staff and organizational capacity of local partners;
- Works in liaison with the Africa General Manager in the development and implementation of monitoring, review, assessment and evaluation plans for improved program development and delivery;
- Ensures the timely completion and submission of all project reports inclusive of monthly financial reports, quarterly reports, annual reports, and donor reports.
- Collaborates with the General Manager to develop appropriate systems, tools and procedures for the monitoring and evaluation of education programs.
2. Field operations management (35% of Time):
- Assists the Vice President, Africa Programs with implementation, standardization and strengthening of regional organizational and infrastructure capacity.
- Prepares quarterly updates of program-related issues across the Africa region.
- Organizes, maintains and regularly updates files on country and project locations for all projects in the region.
- Through regular project field visits, provides leadership and assistance for regional and country staff to ensure alignment with RTP and donor rules and regulations.
- Manages the planning, development, organization and coordination of regional program staff training, inclusive of induction and orientation, language training and other specialized staff trainings.
3. Field partnership development (15% of Time):
- Renders support in developing partnerships with regional donors and INGOs.
- Supports the Vice President, Africa in coordination and information sharing with and across other regional field teams.
4. Perform Other Duties (5% of Time): Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a Master’s degree in international development, international business, political science or related discipline.
- At least five years’ experience in the management of international development projects including designing projects and developing programs, developing and managing programmatic and operational budgets, managing field operations and team leadership.
- Broad knowledge and understanding the concept of gender equality, child protection, sport for development and peace methodology
- Broad knowledge and understanding of financial report analysis
- Ability to build new funding relationships and steward existing donor relationship
- Knowledge and skill in managing and mentoring staff and providing technical support
- Working knowledge of the history of regional conflicts, adversity facing children and youth
- Proven knowledge of budgetary control and financial management, including ability to read and understand financial data
- Demonstrated computer skills especially in MS Office packages
- Broad knowledge and understanding of Human Rights and peace building concept
- Understanding of laws and regulations that may affect the programs within the region
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills to build rapport with staff, partners, government officials, donors and community leaders
- Demonstrated professionalism and diplomacy
- Ability to confidently represent oneself and Right To Play to high level officials
- Excellent planning skills
- High level of interpersonal and cross-cultural skills
- Ability to pragmatically solve problems and plan a course of action
- Ability to identify and pursue opportunities to build and strengthen partnerships
- Ability to multi-task and work under-pressure and in all situations
- Ability to use innovation ways and best practices in conducting business
- Fluency in spoken and written English and French is required.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are strongly encouraged to send their updated resumes / CVs and cover letter to: UgandaHR@righttoplay.com and kindly include “Africa Program Manager” and your name in the subject line. Please indicate your salary expectations in the cover letter.
Deadline: 29th May, 2016.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline