Job Title: Accountant
Organisation: RTI International
Funding Source: USAID and DFID
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Director of Operations
RTI International is one of the world’s leading research institutes, dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. Our staff of more than 3,700 provides research and technical services to governments and businesses in more than 75 countries in the areas of health and pharmaceuticals, education and training, surveys and statistics, advanced technology, international development, economic and social policy, energy and the environment, and laboratory testing and chemical analysis.
About USAID GAPP Project:
RTI is the prime contractor for USAID funded GAPP program. The goal of this seven year program is to increase participation accountability and local governance for effective service delivery. To achieve this goal, GAPP will focus on three components: (1) Support and strengthen national level government accountability institutions in their interaction with local governments; (2) Strengthen local government revenue, procurement, financial and planning systems; and (3) Strengthen civil society organizations (CSOs) and other non-state actors (NSAs) to improve voice and accountability. GAPP will work at the national level and in at least twenty-five districts in northern Uganda, the Albertine region of Bunyoro, and central Uganda.
Job Summary: The Accountant will be responsible for ensuring appropriate systems and procedures (payroll, cash management, vendor payments, budgeting and other related expenditures) are followed to properly disburse, account, budget and report project funds which are cost effective, timely, have proper internal controls and comply with the terms of the agreement
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer functional support for RTI’s finance and accounting function, ensuring compliance with USAID and RTI financial procedures;
- In charge of accounting/keep track of expenses and other financial transactions, mainly involving expense entry, tracking, and record keeping
- Reconcile AP & AR advances accounts.
- Support team leaders on forecasting monthly cash requirements and monitoring expenditure.
- The incumbent will be responsible for managing petty cash accounts.
- Render support in the review of grantee financial documents.
- Work in liaison with the Office Manager to ensure contractual and financial integrity of project’s procurements, inventory control and tracking of project equipment.
- Follow up with field offices and review expenses to ensure weekly expense reporting is submitted within the deadline
- Ensure all payments transactions are fully documented, filing and management of finance documents
- Recommend necessary ideas based on the review findings to Finance Manager to improve quality of reporting.
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by his/her supervisors.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold a bachelor’s degree in a related field
- At least three years of related work experience;
- Previous accounting experience, preferably on a USAID/USG or other donor-funded project;
- Broad working knowledge of institutional accounting and budgeting practices, especially those used by USAID/USG;
- Audit experience is an added advantage
- Excellent computer skills including Word, Excel, and Access; and knowledge of QuickBooks is preferred.
- Previous experience with handling grants is preferred
How to Apply:
All applicants should send an updated CV including three work related referees and cover letter to the Human Resources Manager via E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails should not exceed 2MB. The applicants must include the POSITION TITLE and PREFERRED REGION in the subject line of their email.
Deadline: 11th May, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline