Organisation: Medical Research Council/ Uganda Virus Research Institute (MRC/UVRI)
Funding Source: MRC (UK) and U.S. PEPFAR
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Data Manager
The Medical Research Council/ Uganda Virus Research Institute (MRC/UVRI) based at the Uganda Virus Research Institute in Entebbe is a bilateral multi-disciplinary research organization funded by, the Medical Research Council (UK) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Uganda under the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and other donor agencies. Established in 1988, the MRC/UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS is an internationally recognized center of excellence for research on HIV infection and related diseases, contributing knowledge on the revolving epidemic, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention, and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide.
Job Summary: The Data Management Assistant will be tasked with entering and checking data from studies conducted by the MRC Unit, using data entry screens provided for that purpose and to provide initial consistency checking of the data entered.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Questionnaire batching: Batching received questionnaires in order in batches of fixed size (per study) for easier monitoring and data entry.
- Questionnaire distribution: Allocate work to other DMAs/SDMAs according to priority.
- Screen testing: Testing data entry screens that have been created by the Data Managers (DM) / Data Programmers.
- Data entry:
- Enter data into designated MS Access databases.
- Record information about the given data and data entry files for monitoring purposes.
- Report data entry problems:
- Highlight and report problems that occur during data entry to the database manager in charge of the dataset. These include data that are unreadable, out-of-range, and inconsistent with the interactive checks provided by the data entry programmes.
- The Data Management Assistant will highlight modifications required to data entry screens to the database manager.
- Data verification:
- Run validation programmes to ensure the data entered exactly matches the data on the hard copy.
- Print reports to identify and solve discrepancies, missing data and other problems with the data in the databases.
- Data back-up: Ensure a backup of the entered data has been stored in the correct place.
- Data transfer: Transfer data from data entry file into the final folder for uploading into the main Access tables.
- Data upload: Upload data entry into the main databases under the supervision of a DM.
- Data cleaning under supervision of a DM:
- Run simple check programs in Ms Access
- Look up data in hard copies to check against inconsistencies,
- Compile reports of inconsistencies and rectify them on the database.
- Questionnaire storage:
- Store the hard copies of the data according to the system designed for that study.
- Ensure the accounting of the data is recorded.
- Open new box files whenever necessary.
- Checking box files to confirm proper filing before permanent storage in the archives.
- Data collection: With the introduction of UMPCS, DMAs may be required to enter data in real time in the field and carry out the following tasks:
- Individual/Community mobilisation for participation in a population survey
- Explaining study purpose to potential participants,
- In charge of obtaining informed consent from study participants,
- Administering questionnaires to population survey participants using UMPCs.
- Other tasks: Under supervision, to perform other tasks as required by the more senior staff in the data section. To report the results of these tasks promptly. These tasks include:
- Packing of study drugs;
- Translations and back translations of information sheets and consent forms;
- Solving simple data queries and carry out some DM’s tasks under their supervision.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants for the Data Management Assistant jobs should at least hold A’ level with credits in O’ level Mathematics and English; should be numerate and literate, able to recognise number and character order; Certificate in MS Office applications. Applicants with Diploma or Degree in data / research related field ; Diploma in secretarial studies have an added advantage
- A minimum of two years of recent experience in data entry.
- Very good typing speed; file management.
- Excellent accuracy in transcribing figures
- Applicants that have worked with data in a medical or health related or research related organization have an added advantage
- The job holder must at all times carry out their responsibilities with due regard to the MRC’s: Code of conduct, Equality & Diversity Policy, Health & Safety Policy, Information technology policy and Data Protection Act
- Personal Competencies: Personal Integrity, Emotional Resourcefulness, Ability to Learn, Forward Thinking, Reliability, Openness to Others, Independence, Analytical Thinking, Proactivity, Results Orientation, Thoroughness, Concern for Excellence, Flexibility Towards Others, Service Orientation, Development Orientation
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications letters, copies of academic qualifications and curriculum vitae including names, telephone contacts and email addresses of three (3) referees should be sent only via e mail to: email@example.com. Please quote the position title in the subject line of the email i.e. DMA416.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Deadline: 6th May 2016 by 05:00pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline