Organisation: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
Funding Source: European Union Emergency Trust Fund for Africa
Reports to: Protection and Community Services Coordinator (PCSC)
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 36 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
About EU Project:
DRC is presently leading a Consortium of four NGOs (DRC, ZOA, Save the Children, and CEFORD) which has been selected to implement a program in Northern Uganda to support the self-reliance, resilience and social stability of displacement-affected communities, South Sudanese refugees and their host communities. The Consortium is implementing a 3-year project implemented by a consortium of NGOs and funded under the European Union Emergency Trust Fund for Africa to respond to refugee settlements in West Nile of Uganda.
Job Summary: The Conflict Management Officer supports the PCSC Coordinator and EU Trust Fund Project Manager in the field implementation of all Conflict Management (CM) components of the EU Trust Fund Project in Adjumani settlement/ Kiryandongo- Uganda. The Conflict Management Officer will closely monitor the quality of the activities and ensure a close coordination with the authorities, Security providers and the community for the implementation of the activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Coordination/ Representation:
- Under the supervision of the PCSC Coordinator and EU Trust Fund Project Manager, attend and represent the interests of DRC in all conflict management/protection related meetings
- Actively coordinate within the jurisdiction of your responsibility
- Represent DRC with the Local Authorities and other stakeholders in the districts of jurisdiction.
- Actively participate in internal coordination meeting to ensure internal coordination with protection team and other sectors
- Actively contribute and actively participate in a regular sector meeting
- Server as the primary link between the assigned target communities
2. Project Development, Implementation and Reporting:
- Actively contribute to concept and proposal development in the Conflict Management/Protection thematic areas
- Contribute to the gap analysis in the Conflict Management/Protection areas of and contribute in the development of new thematic areas according to analysis
- Responsible for day to day activity implementation through efficient and effective way
- Significantly contribute to the design of capacity building syllabus and materials and effectively implement the trainings at all level
- Manages the day-to-day Conflict Management/Protection activities, including budget follow ups while bearing in mind DRC’s/Donor financial regulations.
- Prepare weekly work plans for the team, submit it to the PCSC Coordinator and EU Trust Fund Projects Manager and circulate to the DRC Teams and ensure work plans are implemented as per the approved work plan.
- Regularly monitor and document DRC’s Conflict Management/Protection activities.
- Prepare/contribute to weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual, donor and other reports in the areas of Conflict Management/Protection.
3. Staff Management:
- Mentor and supervise Conflict Management Assistants working for the EU Trust Fund project in districts of jurisdiction.
- Uphold DRC’s code of conduct and principles of accountability
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership for the Conflict Management staff members and community based structure in Adjumani operational area as needed.
- Develop staff performance measurement and targets and appraise them based on the set targets.
- Conduct daily field visits to support field staffs - mentoring - through technical back stopping and to train duty bearers
4. Logistics /Finance:
- Assist the PCSC Coordinator and EU Trust Fund Manager to monitor financial commitments and expenditures against EU Trust Fund budget
- Actively participate in Budget follow up meeting and provide timely feedback on budget follow ups
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different clusters.
- Ensure annual and monthly procurement plan for activities for the next month is submitted to logistics department by the end of current month.
- Ensure order requests are duly filled well in advance for the activities to be carried out to provide logistics department adequate time for planning.
- Ensure correct financial procedures are followed by the Conflict Management (CM) team
- Ensure all accountabilities documents are duly signed and returned by the CM Team.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Conflict Management Officer job opportunity should hold a Degree in law or social sciences
- A minimum of three years’ experience in similar position.
- Excellent knowledge in preparing major international donor reports.
- Working knowledge and experience of working with Echo, EU donors.
- Excellent analytical and conceptual skills.
- Show commitment to accountable practices.
- Working knowledge of working in challenging environments.
- Demonstrated ability to manage large varied workloads and deal constructively with stress and periods with long hours.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision
- Proactive, stable and robust character and a good team player.
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humour.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations at all levels.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications including;
- A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria and please indicate your salary expectations
- Updated and detailed (maximum 3 pages). The CV should include information about your qualifications, relevant training courses, work experience, and name and contact details of three relevant references.
The complete application package should be uploaded online, Click Here
Deadline: 5th June 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline