Job Title: Technical Support Officer
Project: Resiliency through Wealth, Agriculture, and Nutrition in Karamoja (RWANU)
Funding Source: USAID
Reports to: Agronomist
Duty Station: Uganda
About USAID RWANU Project:
ACDI/VOCA is an international NGO that is currently implementing the USAID-funded PL 480 Title II Development Food Assistance Program entitled “Resiliency through Wealth, Agriculture, and Nutrition in Karamoja (RWANU).” The RWANU Program aims to reduce food insecurity among vulnerable rural populations in selected sub-counties of Amudat, Moroto, Napak and Nakapiripirit. The Program’s strategic objectives are (1) improved availability and access to food and (2) reduced malnutrition in pregnant and lactating mothers and children under five. The RWANU Program takes a preventive approach to reducing malnutrition, focusing on the first 1,000 days of life when conditional food rations will have the highest impact. RWANU promotes diversified livelihoods strategies including linkages to market opportunities to ensure long-term food security and resilience to food insecurity shocks.
Job Summary: The Technical Support Officer will manage the work of the Field Extension Workers (FEWS) in their respective district of operation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership and specific technical direction to RWANU field based staff
- Provide effective and regular field follow up of field extension workers (FEWS) in their areas of operation
- Works in liaison with the Horticulture Officer in setting up drip irrigation systems for vegetable production at group level.
- Offer technical backstopping of the FEWS in their daily activity implementation of RWANU program
- Identify and ensure field trainings are conducted appropriately and translation done to individual household
- Work closely with other field officers in charge of different project activities like Apiary, FAAB, NRM and Gender to ensure there is a logical and orderly engagement of the FEWS in delivery of various activities and interventions to the target beneficiaries
- Keenly monitor the progress of the VSLA for all the groups assigned to the FEWS
- Guide the FEWS in selection of FTGs for Block farming and selection of lead farmers for demonstration of practices and technologies, horticulture production and Conservation farming.
- Ensure right and quality field data is collected by the FEWS and any other data that might be required by M & E Department
- Write monthly reports of the field activities and ensure correct information is captured in the reports.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the USAID RWANU Project Technical Support Officer job opportunity should hold a university Degree or Diploma in Agricultural Science with a bias in Crop production
- At least three years’ experience working with international NGOs, preferably in Karamoja.
- Prior experience in leading field based agriculture teams
- Previous experience in practical field-based activity implementation in remote environments, and in the context of high levels of poverty,
- Broad working knowledge of best-practices in agricultural technologies and improved farming practices
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills
- Computer literacy skills especially proficiency in software of Microsoft Office
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Language: Fluent written and spoken English language skills are a must. NgaKarimojong language skills highly desirable.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who desire to work in the USAID RWANU Project should send their applications (only by e-mail) addressed to the Human Resources Manager attaching their application letters and CV to email@example.com
NB: Women are encouraged to apply as ACDI/ VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Only those shortlisted for interviews will be contacted.
Deadline: 29th April 2016 by 5:00PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline