Job Title: Air Operations Assistant
Organization: United Nations Entebbe Support Base (UNESB)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: ESB-2016-GS-HRS-005
Reports to: Chief Planning and Operations
The United Nations Entebbe Support Base (UNESB) was established by MONUSCO (formerly MONUC) in May 2003 with 30 staff occupying 500sqm on the Entebbe International Airport to provide logistics and operational support to Eastern DRC. Since its establishment, the proven operational capabilities of this facility coupled with the strategic location to neighboring missions, the reliable logistic infrastructure and the political stability of Uganda were all valuable considerations which prompted the expansion of ESB to its current capacity.
Job Summary: The Air Operations Assistant will be responsible for planning, coordinating, monitoring, including flight following and execution of all activities and services related to air operations. These tasks would involve the safe and efficient movement of UN personnel by air, military contingent deployments/rotations, VIP transport, MEDEVAC/CASEVAC missions and, food, fuel and cargo re-supply to UN team sites in accordance with the Department of Field Support Aviation manual, Aviation Safety Programme, Standard Operating Procedures and, International and Local Area procedures. These would be achieved using MONUSCO and other UN air assets which are generally aircraft contracted by the UN under Long Term Aircraft Charter Agreement.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: : Under the overall supervision of the Chief Air Region and the direct supervision of the Chief Planning and Operations, the Air Operations Assistant would carry out the following duties;
- Ensure thorough understanding of the Air Tasking Procedure and mission air assets (including type, performance, capacity and location of the aircraft);
- Plan Daily Flight Schedule (DFS) for the following day, based on MONUSCO Weekly Flight Schedule and/or Special Flight Requests (SFR);
- Continually coordinate with all aviation key players (other Air Ops units, site managers, crew, MOVCON, other Air Regions, MAOC, etc.) in order to ensure proper scheduling and execution of tasks; Prepare Amendments to the DFS based on requirements and Obtain approval from the Planning Unit supervisor prior to publishing the DFS or subsequent amendments;
- Produce the required short form of MONUSCO DFS and distribute/file accordingly; Ensure signing of the DFS by respective crew on daily basis and brief the crew accordingly, Raise SFR in the data base and follow up approval process; Initiate preparation of Aviation Weekly Reports (AWR) and compile/pursue all data from other units before sending to the Chief Air Region;
- Prepare and submit Aviation Monthly Reports (AMR);
- Maintain and update all Planning Unit folders (DFS, MONUSCO DFS, MONUSCO Final Amendments, AWR and AMR) as well as all planning boards;
- Keep record and files of all communications, with aircraft (Radio log); To keep contact (by radio communications VHF,HF ) with all UN Aircrafts operating in and out of Mission area while flying: to record their ATD, ETA, PAX, cargo and every 30 min the GPS position of Each Aircraft.
- Able to follow special procedures in case of SAR operations.
- Keep updated the plotting, tracking and flight following tote board.
- Prepare departure Data and made available for crew briefing: weather, Notam if any and mission clearance; to prepare update and upload backlogs to the intranet system for financial implications.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations Entebbe Support Base (ESB) Air Operations Assistant career opportunity should hold a High School diploma or equivalent. Technical or vocational certificate in Air Transport, Aviation Engineering, Air Traffic Control, Flight Dispatch or training from equivalent military establishments is required.
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience in Aviation as either Air Traffic Controller / Flight Dispatcher / Air Operations or Military equivalent positions
- The applicants should be passionate about aviation, have good experience in aviation related activities and be capable of working in intense and high tempo operational environment.
- Ability to operate HF, VHF Radios.
- Computer literacy i.e. proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, and, the UN Lotus Notes and Data bases.
- Able to drive and hold a valid Driver’s License.
- Language: Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
- Professionalism: Good knowledge of all forms of air transportation activities; thorough knowledge of air operations related processing and safety requirements; ability to work independently in managing difficult situations; proven analytical and evaluative skills; shows pride in work and in achievements; observing deadlines and achieving results; and ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- Teamwork: Work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; willingness to learn from others, ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with supervisors and colleagues, shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Communication: Good interpersonal skills, speaks and writes clearly and effectively, listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately, exhibits two way communication; and tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience and demonstrate openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
NB: The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan candidates should send their applications the following documents:
- Cover Letter (letter of motivation or application letter);
- The United Nations Personal History form (P-11), Download Here;
- Proof of required academic certificates i.e. Academic Certificate(s) and/or High School/Secondary Diplomas
- Copy of birth certificate; or copy of National ID; or copy of Passport.
- Employment verification letter from most recent employer (for external applicants)
- Internal candidates must submit 2 most recent performance evaluations (e-PAS) and external candidates must submit two reference letters
The applicants with the completed documents are strongly encouraged to apply via e-mail and must include the Vacancy Announcement Number (check beginning of this advert) and Job Title to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hard copy applications may also be delivered to: RSCE – Entebbe Support Base, Buku Road, PO Box 710, Entebbe. Uganda
Deadline: 25th April 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline