Job Title: Senior Protection Assistant
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10018194
Reports to: Assistant Protection Officer
Vacancy Notice: 008/2016
Duty Station: Uganda
Post Grade: GL5
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Senior Protection Assistant keenly monitors protection standards, operational procedures and practices in protection delivery in line with international standards and provides functional protection support to information management and programme staff. The incumbent provides quality, timely and effective protection support to persons of concern and identifies opportunities to mainstream protection methodologies and safeguards in operational responses. The jobholder also contributes to designing a comprehensive protection strategy and may liaise externally with local authorities and partners on protection issues as guided by the supervisor. The incumbent also ensures that persons of concern are involved with the Office in making decisions that affect them, whether in accessing their rights or in identifying appropriate solutions to their problems. To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, local authorities and protection and assistance partners.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Protection Officer, the incumbent will undertake the following duties;
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Provide counselling on protection issues to persons of concern; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other relevant documentation.
- Offer technical support activities in protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Carry out preliminary information gathering and interviews in support of eligibility, status determination, durable solutions and social needs assessment.
- Significantly contribute to measures to identify, prevent and reduce statelessness.
- Contribute to a country-level child protection plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Contribute to a country-level education plan for persons of concern as part of the protection strategy.
- Keenly monitor Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
- Actively participate in individual protection case management including cases of SGBV and child protection. Monitor and report on cases of refoulement, expulsion and other protection incidents.
- Render support in identifying durable solutions for persons of concern in voluntary repatriation, local integration and where appropriate, resettlement.
- Actively contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation of protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Assist in drafting reports, routine correspondence, updating relevant databases and compiling statistics for the protection unit / section.
- Contribute to initiatives to enhance national and local protection capacities.
- Perform any other duties as required by the Assistant Protection Officer.
Key Performance Indicators:
- The protection of populations of concern is met through the application of International and National Law relevant UN/UNHCR protection standards and IASC principles.
- Protection activities are guided by the UNHCR country protection strategy.
- The participation of persons of concern is facilitated through supporting participatory, rights and community based approaches.
- Support is provided to identify and report protection incidents
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Assistant Protection Officer career opportunity should have completed secondary school. Additional Training courses in protection related issues.
- At least four years of related work experience
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language
- Good computer skills.
- Completion of the Protection Learning Programme is desired
How to Apply:
All Interested candidates who meet the above criteria should submit their applications, under confidential cover, quoting the Post No addressed to: The Senior Administrative/Finance Officer, UNHCR Representation in Uganda via E-mail quoting the vacancy notice and position number to: UGAKAHR@unhcr.org.
Deadline: 26th April, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline