Job Title: Associate Programme Officer
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10018000
Reports to: Programme Officer
Vacancy Notice: 007/2016
Duty Station: Mbarara, Uganda
Post Grade: NOB
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Associate Programme Officer will keep abreast with the challenges posed to the region by the political context, the UN and humanitarian reform and institutional developments.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the direct Supervision of the Programme Officer, the incumbent will undertake the following duties;
- Through a consultative process within the country and field visits, stay involved in the development of the strategies, methodologies, contingency plans that respond to new and emerging operational challenges for the country.
- Render support in ensuring that global strategic priorities (GSP) and regional priorities as well as information on projected resource availability guide the planning parameters.
- Provide inputs for developing the country operations plan in compliance with global strategic priorities and regional priorities as well as with annual programming/planning instructions.
- Assist in organizing a consultative process to ensure a consistent application of the organization’s criteria and policies for the selection of implementing and operational partners.
- The incumbent will be managing the development of a broad network of partners, good coordination practices and the development of partner capacities.
- Assist in training UNHCR as well as implementing partners (IP) staff in UNHCR standard procedures related to the Results Based Programme management.
- Carry out proper collection, monitoring and use of baselines, standards and indicators needed to measure and analyze UNHCR’s performance, trends and target interventions.
- Actively participate in the inter-agency programming processes, namely joint needs assessments, at national and local level government levels.
- Conduct field visits to evaluate and improve the planning, programming, implementation and monitoring of assistance projects.
- Assist in implementing the establishment of sound monitoring processes, in reviewing final reports and on progress in order to advise on any corrective actions required or the need for additional resources to reach planned target levels.
- Apply UNHCR’s corporate tools (e.g. Global Focus, Focus Client) to record data and assess the technical soundness of the operation and generate data for evidence-based decisions at the country-level.
- Assist in keeping donor representatives briefed on developments and assist in the development of funding submissions, appeals and reports.
- Render support in monitoring compliance to the organization’s resource allocation framework, providing support and taking corrective action where required.
- Assist in ensuring compliance in issuance of audit certificates for Implementing Partners.
- Keenly monitor the implementation of IP Risk Management techniques and tools.
- Perform any other duties as required by the UNHCR Programme Officer.
Key Performance Indicators
- The needs of persons of concern in the country are assessed and analysed in a participatory manner and using an Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective to form a firm basis for planning.
- IP agreements are established in a timely manner, regularly monitored and reported on in compliance with established guidelines and procedures.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Associate Programme Officer job placement should hold a University degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Law, Economics, Social Sciences or related field
- At least four years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
- Completion of the UNHCR Learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position
- Broad working knowledge of UNHCR financial rules, procedures and processes
- Knowledge of UNHCR specific programmes (MSRP, Focus, etc.)
- Computer literacy skills i.e. proficiency in MS Office
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN language. Knowledge of another relevant UN language is desired i.e. Arabic, Chinese, French and/ or Spanish.
How to Apply:
All Interested candidates who meet the above criteria should submit their applications, under confidential cover, quoting the Post No addressed to: The Senior Administrative/Finance Officer, UNHCR Representation in Uganda via E-mail quoting the vacancy notice and position number to: UGAKAHR@unhcr.org.
Deadline: 15th April, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline