Job Title: Teacher Trainer
Organization: Bridge International Academies
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Bridge International Academies is the world’s largest and fastest-growing chain of primary and pre-primary schools with more than 400 academies and 120,000 pupils in Kenya and Uganda. We democratize the right to succeed by giving families living in poverty access to the high-quality education that will allow their children to live a very different life. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to standardize and scale every aspect of quality education delivery, from how and where academies are built to how teachers are selected and trained, and how lessons are delivered and monitored for improvement. We are vertically-integrated, tech-enabled, and on our way to profitability. Bridge expects to continue rapid expansion in East Africa, and will be launching operations in Nigeria in September 2015, with India to follow in 2016.
Job Summary: The Teacher Trainer will ensure that talented and passionate candidates from each of our communities are made into high-quality trained teachers, passionate and motivated about their work, and prepped and ready to deliver education outcomes for pupils in their classrooms. The Teacher Trainer is responsible for training and selecting our teacher candidates at an intensive 3 - week residential training. These three - week trainings run back to back sometimes two to three times per term. Each training, the trainer will lead a classroom of 65 trainees through our scripted training curriculum – executing the training content with fidelity and mastery. Trainees must successfully complete the training in order to be offered a permanent position. Trainers are responsible for executing our selection tools with fidelity to ensure our teachers are prepared to be successful. When not leading residential training, trainers will continue to develop our teachers as they enter their classroom through intensive coaching and mentoring. Delivery excellence, integrity, quality and systematization are all part of ensuring successful implementation. You will work closely with the global training team who has and will continue to design the training sessions delivered in each country.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In charge of leading residential trainings for all the teacher trainees.
- Onboard and induct teacher trainees into Bridge, investing them in our mission and the role they play in it.
- Create GREAT teachers by executing all content with fidelity, ensuring trainees engage in rigorous and meaningful practice and providing thoughtful feedback and coaching.
- Execute the selection and screening tools and processes to ensure that only the best teacher trainees are selected for hire.
- Continuously seek ways to improve content, systems and processes by taking initiative and sharing feedback with the leadership team.
- The measure of your success will be the learning outcomes delivered by teachers you trained and selected once they are placed in the classroom.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a Bachelor’s degree
- The applicant should have at least three to five years’ experience in education either in a school or in an education related organization.
- Teaching experience is highly valued but not mandatory.
- A fundamental belief that great teachers are 'made' not born
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills with the ability to engage a large group of individuals
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to easily form relationships and influence and motivate others
- Flexibility and a strong work ethic. The ability to overcome obstacles
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Strong people management skills – holding adults to high expectations
- Computer literacy i.e. proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in volatile, low-resource communities and runs on fees averaging just $6 a month per pupil. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand. Every dollar you spend is a dollar our customers, who live on less than $2 a day, will have to pay for.
- A customer advocate – Our customers – these families living on less than $2 a day per person – never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their customer benefit, experience, and value.
- A life-long learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates who wish to apply for this vacancy are encouraged to send their updated CVs and cover letters online at the web link below.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline