Job Title: Teacher Engagement Officer
Organization: Bridge International Academies
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Bridge International Academies is the world’s largest and fastest-growing chain of primary and pre-primary schools with more than 400 academies and 120,000 pupils in Kenya and Uganda. We democratize the right to succeed by giving families living in poverty access to the high-quality education that will allow their children to live a very different life. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to standardize and scale every aspect of quality education delivery, from how and where academies are built to how teachers are selected and trained, and how lessons are delivered and monitored for improvement. We are vertically-integrated, tech-enabled, and on our way to profitability. Bridge expects to continue rapid expansion in East Africa, and will be launching operations in Nigeria in September 2015, with India to follow in 2016.
Job Summary: The Teacher Engagement Officer will be part of Academy Personnel Management team within People Operations that is responsible for managing our academy staff employment life cycle around Primary Teacher Training Colleges. This position will require consistent, effective and timely collaboration with the Academy Operations Team which interacts directly with our Academy Staff and Customer Experience Team. The successful candidate will interface with potential teacher employees as well as existing teachers to create a continuous teacher pipeline.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively participate and contribute to the formulation of Primary Teacher Training Colleges planning and strategy development process within People Operations department.
- Ensure that Primary Teacher Training Colleges’ engagement activities are planned and implemented based on approved strategy, plans and budgets.
- Offer support to the People Operations team in the implementation of timely and quality reports as required by departments internally and work closely with other academy support department in maintaining teacher recruitment pipelines.
- Keenly monitor project outputs and outcomes and ensuring that the program is delivering on its overall objectives.
- Ensure detailed work plan for Primary Teacher Training Colleges’ engagement activities are prepared and executed in a coordinated and timely manner.
- Create engagement training materials i.e. PowerPoint presentations, flyers, brochures and banners.
- Play a key role in documentation of project outcomes, learning and good practices that can be replicated for future engagements.
- Carry out trainings to potential teachers and other educational stakeholders to elicit interest in Bridge.
- Manage staff performance and development to ensure the project and organization targets and met.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Bridge Teacher Engagement Officer career opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Education or any other related field
- A minimum of three years’ experience in a similar role.
- Flexibility as the role will require up to 50 % field based assignments
- Relevant experience working directly with Teacher Training Colleges is an added advantage.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the context, environment and education challenges facing teachers in Uganda
- Very good knowledge of the Ugandan Primary Teacher Training cycles and programs.
- Good analytical skills especially in Excel
- Good Project Management Skills
- Excellent Communication skills
- People Management Skills
- Multitasking skills
- Keen attention to detail
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in volatile, low-resource communities and runs on fees averaging just $6 a month per pupil. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand. Every dollar you spend is a dollar our customers, who live on less than $2 a day, will have to pay for.
- A customer advocate – Our customers – these families living on less than $2 a day per person – never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their customer benefit, experience, and value.
- A life-long learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates who wish to apply for this vacancy are encouraged to send their updated CVs to email@example.com with the subject line “Teacher Engagement Officer.”
Deadline: 2nd May, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline