Job Title: Senior Program Manager
Organisation: Mercy Corps
Project Name: Yes Empowered for Success (YES!)
Funding Source: Coca-Cola Africa Foundation
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Program Director
Mercy Corps is an international non-profit organization which implements high-quality, analytical development work in very difficult places. We have been operating in Uganda since 2006 and currently implement development programs in the Acholi and Karamoja sub-regions of Uganda with funding from USAID, EC, SDC, and USDA.
About Coca-Cola Africa Foundation YES! Project:
Mercy Corps is implementing the Kampala-focused YES! (Yes Empowered for Success) program, funded by The Coca-Cola Africa Foundation. YES! believes that if youth (aged 18-35) acquire market-driven and transferable skills, are empowered to identify and access market opportunities, and are supported to thrive within an inclusive enabling environment, then they will increase their employment and entrepreneurship and drive their economies forward.
Job Summary: The Senior Program Manager will be in charge of providing overall oversight and leadership in for the YES! program, for its staff and key partners, including the private sector, government and civil society. The incumbent will serve as the focal person for drawing all elements of the program together at a district level, while ensuring compliance to Mercy Corps systems, effective people management; ensuring that program staff are given clear direction, support supervision and remain productive and accountable.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Staff and Program Management:
- Oversight of Kampala-based team, coordinate and implement activities in line with approved project proposal, budget and within the agreed time frames.
- Ensure compliance to all Mercy Corps, Donor and Government of Uganda policies, procedures and guidelines that relate to the implementation of the of the program with limited supervision.
- Make sure that all project deadlines, quality standards and targets are met, redesigning deadlines, quality standards and targets as needed.
- Prepare and submit all reports, both internal and external to the donor and HQ, with a high level of quality with limited need for revision.
- Lead the coordination, management and motivation of program teams through ensuring that they have clear objectives/individual work plans as part of performance management and receive constructive feedback on their performance. Ensure work plans are designed collectively with staff and other key stakeholders.
2. Partnership Management/ External Representation:
- Independently establish, maintain and grow productive working relationships with Local Government officials and line departments, and private sector, soliciting their participation in all activities where appropriate, in close coordination with other programs in the same operating areas.
- Build and strengthen strong partnerships with private sector actors with an incentive to provide training to youth in transferable; financial management; business and employability skills, with the support of external trainers and entrepreneurs-in-residence.
- Responsible for monitoring partners based on partnership agreements.
- Responsible for new business development, identifying new potential partners, leading negotiations of partnerships and leading implementation of any work plans related to such partnerships.
3. Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL):
- Take a leadership role in development and revision of MEL system, and information management, in close coordination with MEL team.
- Coordinate data gathering and management and take overall responsibility for MEL.
- Manage the scheduling and production of formal and informal reports on all aspects of program, with a high level of quality, requiring minimal revision.
- Ensure coordination and sharing of information with other stakeholders.
- As part of Mercy Corps’ agency-wide Organizational Learning Initiative, all team members are responsible for spending 5% of their work time in formal and/or non-formal professional learning activities.
- The Senior Program Manager is responsible for ensuring that other staff are able to engage in this organizational learning and career development opportunities.
4. Program Support Operations:
- Coordinate and support of finance, operations and administration staff to ensure operational systems are in place to support field activities including logistics (transport, warehousing and asset management), procurement, security, administration and human resources.
- Carry out himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring positive recognition to Mercy Corps.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Mercy Corps Senior Program Manager should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in business, agribusiness, economic development or other relevant field required.
- At least five years’ practical experience in youth-led economic development programming and/or private sector, business, market/economic development and/or related industry.
- Three years of high-level management experience (staff, budget and partnership management), with positions of progressively greater responsibilities.
- Proven exposure and experience in the private sector and with private sector engagement and development;
- Highly motivated and motivating individual who can lead teams, SMEs, employers and partners.
- Working knowledge of technology and social enterprise a plus.
- Excellent (English) verbal and written communication skills with proven financial management skills.
- Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of office applications.
- Demonstrated flexibility, creativity and enthusiasm as well as a willingness to learn and to be continually adaptive within a dynamic and often self-directed working environment mandatory.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan candidates should send their applications including a cover letter clearly stating the salary requirements, updated CV (with three professional referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates to the HR/Admin Manager, Kampala Head Office on 4th Floor Embassy Plaza, Plot 1188-1190 Ggaba Road. The E-mail applications with cover letter should be sent to: email@example.com
NB: Earlier candidates need not re-apply.
NB: Earlier candidates need not re-apply.
Deadline: 22nd April 2016