Job Title: Project & Maintenance Engineer
Organisation: Uganda Christian University (UCU)
Duty Station: Mukono, Uganda
Reports to: Director Facilities & Capital Projects
Uganda Christian University was founded when the historic Bishop Tucker Theological College was promoted as a university in 1997. Bishop Tucker Theological College trained clergy and educators during its 84-year history from 1913-1997. The local chief, Hamu Mukasa, granted land for the college to operate in Mukono. International partnerships were part of the College’s missionary history. The Church Mission Society teamed with Ugandan leaders and others to assure the College had the necessary intellectual and other capital. By the late 1990s, the Church of Uganda sought to have a broader impact on society through the higher education - not only of clergy but of other professionals as well. Uganda Christian University was established in 1997.
In 2004, the Government of Uganda granted a charter to Uganda Christian University – the highest level of national accreditation. UCU was the first private University to receive such a charter from the Government.
Job Summary: The Project & Maintenance Engineer will be in-charge of all facility construction and renovation and maintenance of the buildings thereof, in the University. The incumbent will also plan, coordinate, monitor, and evaluate projects ensuring the specification is being followed and work is proceeding on schedule and budget.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and manage projects and maintenance schedules
- Supervise projects and maintenance works to ensure that the relevant quality assurance procedures are followed
- Measure the onsite works, materials and prepare quality interim payment certificates
- Regularly monitor technical (steel reinforcement, on-site changes concrete QA, pre-cast pre-stressed QA) aspects of the works
- Keenly monitor progress, quality, safety and environmental aspects of the works
- Regularly monitor health, safety security and environmental issues on site
- Monitor sub-contractors work against the approved works
- Holding regular meetings with contractor on design, construction, quality and progress aspects
- Work closely with the engineers and consultants contracted to solve technical and contractual issues
- Prepare variation orders as required
- Make monthly program- progress reports on all matters related to project performance and completion in the form of comprehensive site records
- Work closely with Faculty of Science and Technology in supervision of students and interns attached to the Directorate of Facilities and Capital Projects
- Perform any other official duties as may be assigned by the supervisor from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold a Master’s degree in Civil Engineering from a reorganized institute of higher learning. Holder of a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, or its equivalent from a recognized university with additional training in construction project management.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in overseeing a successful construction with a reputable construction company will be added advantage.
- Proficient computer skills especially in word processing, use of spreadsheets and PowerPoint.
- High degree of integrity and capable of going an extra mile in execution of duties.
- She/he should be a mature and committed Christian.
How to Apply:
All applicants are encouraged to send two (2) copies of an application letter together with an updated Curriculum Vitae and three references i.e. academic, leadership and pastoral. Please attach two (2) copies of academic and professional certificates and transcripts.
The Manager, Human Resource & Administration,
Uganda Christian University,
P.O. Box 4, Mukono, Uganda
Deadline: 6th May, 2016 by 5:00PM