Organization: National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Director – District Support Coordination & Public Education
Job Ref: NEMA/ADV/EXT/09/2016
The National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) was established under the National
Environment Act Cap. 153 to promote and ensure sound environmental management practices for sustainable development in Uganda.
Job Summary: The Principal Environmental Education Coordinator will offer technical support and guidance to Government Institutions on the processes and best practices necessary for the integration of environment and sustainable development in academic and non-academic
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In charge of developing and reviewing in collaboration with the Ministry responsible for education, guidelines and programs for formal environment education at all levels;
- In charge of monitoring the integration of Environment and sustainable development issues and updating the data bank on environmental education activities in the entire education system;
- Providing technical assistance to the Ministry of Education in the planning, coordinating and
- monitoring of environmental education and sustainable development activities in the country;
- Providing technical assistance to the National Curriculum Development Centre in environmental education curriculum design;
- In charge of developing a National Strategy for Environmental Education;
- In charge of identifying areas of environmental concern and ensuring that they are sufficiently integrated in formal education curricula, environmental programmes of NGOs and Institutions;
- Work closely with higher institutions in developing regular and in-service environmental training to cater for the priority needs of the country;
- Building and strengthening linkages among institutions in environmental education development;
- Perform any other tasks that may be assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in any of the following fields: Education, Environmental Management and Development Studies from a recognized Degree awarding Institution.
- Advanced degree in any of the following: Science Education or any of the related areas is a MUST.
- Specialized training in Environmental Education would be desirable.
- A minimum of five years of professional experience in environmental education including: Teaching, Programme/ Curriculum Development, Research, Monitoring, Planning and Management.
- Previous exposure and experience in community training, people centered educational and environment management processes and the workings of higher and Tertiary Institutions would be an added advantage.
- Capacity to work with minimum supervision
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- High ethics, integrity and confidentiality
- Good reporting skills
- Proven ability to work under pressure and to make accurate and informed decisions.
- Excellent analytical and coordinating skills
- Ability to work independently and with strong organizational and planning skills.
- Honesty, Courtesy,
- On time response to instructions.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their hand written applications together with copies of certificates/ testimonials and detailed curriculum vitae indicating three professional referees addressed to:-
The Executive Director,
National Environment Management Authority (NEMA),
NEMA House, Plot 17/19/21 Jinja Road,
P.O. Box 22255, Kampala. Uganda
Note: The job title applied for should be printed at the top left hand side of the envelope.
Deadline: 28th April, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline