Job Title: Planning Manager
Organization: Bridge International Academies
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Bridge International Academies is the world’s largest and fastest-growing chain of primary and pre-primary schools with more than 400 academies and 120,000 pupils in Kenya and Uganda. We democratize the right to succeed by giving families living in poverty access to the high-quality education that will allow their children to live a very different life. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to standardize and scale every aspect of quality education delivery, from how and where academies are built to how teachers are selected and trained, and how lessons are delivered and monitored for improvement. We are vertically-integrated, tech-enabled, and on our way to profitability. Bridge expects to continue rapid expansion in East Africa, and will be launching operations in Nigeria in September 2015, with India to follow in 2016.
Job Summary: The Planning Manager will steer the planning operations for Bridge International Academies. Bridge Uganda will be scaling up quickly, and we expect to hire someone with deep physical planning experience in Uganda who understands the necessary regulatory bodies and individuals to work with, and who know how to manage and motivate a team under time pressure and with clear targets.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The incumbent will be in charge of coordinating the planning approval processes across all team members, including keeping the rest of Development/Bridge informed of progress.
- Guiding team and taking a deeply hands-on approach on drafting and compiling Planning briefs, public notices, site location plans, and other necessary documentation
- Keenly tracking deliverables, documenting, reporting progress and making sure the planning approval processes proceed as planned
- Ensuring that team executes on targets within stated timeframes – working as hard as needed to make this happen.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Bridge International Academies Planning Manager vacancy should hold a Degree(s) in planning from a recognized university
- At least eight years’ experience working in physical planning/change of use; very experienced at preparing planning briefs
- Two years’ experience in leading a team
- Prior government work experience is an added advantage
- Broad knowledge and understanding of building/planning codes in Uganda
- Appropriately registered with the relevant professional bodies
- Very detail-oriented, organized, and hands-on; willing to travel frequently at short notice to get things done
- Experience motivating a field-based team to achieve targets
- Strong computing skills (e.g. Microsoft Office)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Project Management skills
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in volatile, low-resource communities and runs on fees averaging just $6 a month per pupil. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand. Every dollar you spend is a dollar our customers, who live on less than $2 a day, will have to pay for.
- A customer advocate – Our customers – these families living on less than $2 a day per person – never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their customer benefit, experience, and value.
- A life-long learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates who wish to apply for this vacancy are encouraged to send their updated CVs to email@example.com with the subject line “Planning Manager”
Deadline: 2nd May, 2016
Deadline: 2nd May, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline