Job Title: Operations Assistant
Organization: United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Post Level: SB3
Reports to: Operations Analyst
United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF) is the UN’s capital investment agency for the world’s least developed countries. It creates new opportunities for poor people and their communities by increasing access to microfinance and investment capital. UNCDF focuses on Africa and the poorest countries of Asia and the Pacific, with a special commitment to countries emerging from conflict or crisis. It provides seed capital – grants and loans – and technical support to help microfinance institutions reach more poor households and small businesses, and local governments finance the capital investments – water systems, feeder roads, schools, irrigation schemes – that will improve poor peoples’ lives.
About MM4P Program:
With support from Australian Government, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (“DFAT” formerly AusAid) and by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), UNCDF launched Mobile Money for the Poor (MM4P) in March 2012, a global thematic initiative to address the opportunities and challenges of implementing branchless banking and mobile money in challenging markets in Africa and Asia. MM4P’s long-term mission is to help low income and rural households in LDCs increase their financial security through appropriate, affordable and secure means to receive, manage and save money through these “digital financial services” (DFS). UNCDF is currently implementing this in eight countries (Laos, Nepal, Liberia, Malawi, Uganda, Senegal, Benin and Zambia). MM4P is interested in seeing Uganda become a leading digital financial services (DFS) market, including mobile phone and other means of branchless banking. While Uganda is advancing in this area it still lags behind its East African neighbours.
Job Summary: The Operations Assistant will support the UNCDF Mobile Money for the Poor (MM4P) program to consolidate its presence in Uganda and provide support to Malawi and Zambia.The Operations Assistant will specifically maintain a country office in Uganda and provide operational support to the implementation of the MM4P´s “ecosystem support strategy” in Uganda. The jobholder will also provide operational support to the implementation of the MM4P´s “ecosystem support strategy” in Malawi and Zambia.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the supervision of MM4P’s Operations Analyst, the Operations Assistant will provide effective administrative, office management and logistical support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
Maintain a country office in Uganda:
- In charge of procuring office premises and maintenance services for MM4P Uganda programme;
- Procuring office equipment (including all IT, communications, stationary, furniture and any other supplies required for the MM4P Uganda programme;
- Offering administrative support to MM4P Uganda team;
- Assist in the logistic details for the hire of the Technical Specialist for Inclusive Finance, Uganda, when recruited (relocation, common queries, etc.);
- Assist in the logistic details for the hire of the Knowledge and Communications Associate for Uganda;
- Support to organization of common services with UNDP Uganda country office;
- Serve as the day-to-day liaison with MM4P Brussels and UNCDF Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Office.
Provide operational support to the implementation of the MM4P’s “ecosystem support strategy” in Uganda:
- Carrying out procurement processes as needed (short term consultants);
- Keenly tracking payments due under contracts and grants, requesting certificates of payment from consultants and preparing payment requests;
- In charge of the maintenance of records on assets management, preparation of reports;
- Maintenance of files and records relevant to office maintenance;
- Make arrangements of travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents.
Organise the MM4P annual conference:
- Secure premises for the conference;
- Hire all related conference services (transport, catering translation);
- Support conference logistics (travel arrangements, payments, etc.).
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF) Operations Assistant should have completed Secondary Education, preferably with specialized certification in Management, Accounting or Finance. Possession of a University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences and Social Sciences would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- At least five years of progressively responsible administrative experience is required at the national or international level;
- Specialized training in office management and administration is highly desirable;
- Previous exposure and experience with a UN organization/agency is desirable;
- Prior experience with ATLAS and UNDP Procurement Processes is desired, but not a requirement;
- Computer literacy i.e. proficiency in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Language and IT Skills: Fluency in English. Proficiency in French preferred, but not mandatory;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches;
Broad working knowledge of processes, methods and procedures:
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Promoting Organizational Change and Development.
Data gathering and implementation of management systems:
- Uses information/databases/other management systems;
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system components;
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems;
- Client Orientation.
Maintains effective client relationships:
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Responds to client needs promptly;
- Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF) in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent Click Apply Now.
Deadline: 15th April 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline