Job Title: Operations and Security Manager
Organisation: International School of Uganda (ISU)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of School
The International School of Uganda (ISU) is dedicated to: “providing world-class, holistic education in a multi-cultural setting, inspiring and equipping students to be life-long learners, to reach their full potential and to be responsible global citizens active in shaping the future. ISU is a non-profit, co-educational day school, established in 1967, offering an international education program for students 3 to 19 years old. Enrollment is approximately 540 students representing over 60 different nations, creating a culturally dynamic and synergistic student body with many languages and customs.
Job Summary: The Operations and Security Manager will be responsible for managing the facility, transport and security related services that support the educational programs of the school. The incumbent will be responsible for maintenance of campus facilities and overseas hire faculty housing, overseeing the set-up of school functions, cleaning and grounds maintenance, transportation services, security, supervision of operations staff, and management of projects within budget guidelines.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Managing People:
- Mentor and manage the team of coordinators, include job description review, goal-setting and appraisal
- Coordinate training in facility maintenance and safety methods, procedures, and techniques
- Plan, prioritize, assign, supervise, review, and participate in the work of staff responsible for facility maintenance
- Build, strengthen and maintain respectful and good working relationships with all staff.
- Take a leading role in establishing and promoting a culture of responsiveness and customer service among maintenance staff
2. Managing Resources:
- Actively participate in the preparation and administration of the facility maintenance budget
- Organize/Assist in the preparation of various tenders, contracts and requests for proposals related to facilities maintenance
- Establish schedules and methods for providing facility maintenance services
- Manage all operational and maintenance aspects of campus facilities, transport and housing for overseas hire teachers
- Ensure that the daily transport service provided for students and staff is effective and efficient and that school vehicles are properly maintained
- Keenly monitor fuel consumption and ensure that accurate and up to date stock records are maintained of fuel, oil and vehicle parts
- Develop and organize preventative, proactive maintenance and safety inspection programmes for all facilities maintenance equipment.
- Establish, monitor and manage the Help Desk request system and establish achievable service response time
- Regularly monitor and control facilities maintenance supplies & equipment and order supplies and tools as necessary
- Regularly review, update and oversee Security and Emergency procedures and plan and implement regular drills.
- Work closely with the US Embassy Regional Security Office (RSO) and Ugandan Police to ensure security for students, staff and all visitors to ISU
- Supervise contracted Security Staff – negotiate contract, etc
- Supervise Catering Contractor – negotiate contract and oversee to ensure healthy balance daily menu and food prepared in accordance with highest possible hygiene standards
- Render support in the set-up and facilitation of school functions and special events
- Support the Head of School in developing plans for campus development
- Act as on-site project manager for smaller construction projects, monitoring materials, timelines, quality of work and safety standards
- Work closely with any external project manager appointed for larger construction
- Will be proactive and take initiative in leading the operational aspects of the school.
- Communicate facility maintenance resource needs proactively to the Head of School and Business Manager.
- Build a good working relationship with the US embassy’s Regional Security Officer (RSO), the Ugandan Police Force and the school’s outsourced security provider.
- Provide information to the School community on facilities maintenance matters and investigate and / recommend corrective action as necessary to resolve complaints
- Support the Construction Project Manager in coordinating facilities maintenance requirements for School construction projects
- Prepare and submit monthly facility maintenance related reports to the EMT and Head of School.
- Work in liaison with the EMT to ensure the smooth running of all operations of the school to support the educational programmes
4. Maintaining Safety of Facilities and Equipment:
- Ensure that site Health & Safety committees are convened and operate effectively
- Ensure that urgent repairs and maintenance issues are resolved promptly and effectively
- Ensure that appropriate legal and school regulations regarding health and safety are adhered to by the Facilities and Maintenance teams
- Ensure that highest possible levels of health and safety standards are consistently applied through documented procedures & training of appropriate individuals
- Establish and implement procedures to ensure that buildings, grounds and vehicles are maintained to high level of cleanliness throughout
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold an Undergraduate degree in a related field
- Previous experience working in a school setting
- Experience working in a multicultural setting
- Experience and/or understanding of educational programs
- Previous experience and/or understanding of teaching methods and practices
- Demonstrated success in a complex facility-management position
- Previous exposure and experience with contract negotiations and project management
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Significant experience in supervising and training others
- Proven ability to work independently and act ethically
- Strong work ethic, based on proactive planning and personal responsibility
- Systems thinker
- Good team player
- Ability to understand and speak Luganda
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their application letters and updated CVs with copies of academic transcripts /documents and contact details of three referees to Laura Kisakye, Business Office Assistant on E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or hand deliver your application documents to the International School of Uganda, Plot 272/3, Lubowa.
Deadline: 6th May 2016 by 5:00PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline