Job Title: NEMA Specialist / Officer, Planning
Organization: Bridge International Academies
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Bridge International Academies is the world’s largest and fastest-growing chain of primary and pre-primary schools with more than 400 academies and 120,000 pupils in Kenya and Uganda. We democratize the right to succeed by giving families living in poverty access to the high-quality education that will allow their children to live a very different life. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to standardize and scale every aspect of quality education delivery, from how and where academies are built to how teachers are selected and trained, and how lessons are delivered and monitored for improvement. We are vertically-integrated, tech-enabled, and on our way to profitability. Bridge expects to continue rapid expansion in East Africa, and will be launching operations in Nigeria in September 2015, with India to follow in 2016.
Job Summary: The Officer, Planning will carry out a variety of duties related to the preparation, analysis, interpretation and presentation of technical land use, environmental and other city planning data. The Planning Officer ensures compliance with the city’s development standards.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In charge of getting development approvals in areas assigned
- Responsible for compiling relevant documents to be attached to planning briefs before circulation.
- Following up on development applications until they have been approved by the relevant council.
- In charge of collecting pertinent data from the field required to draft the applications
- Collecting relevant documents and details from approving authorities required during the drafting of the development applications;
- Responsible for collecting and reporting on any relevant information that may directly or indirectly affect the planning applications.
- Building and maintaining a network of contact persons
- Launching NEMA reports for intended projects
- In charge of negotiating with local authorities to grant permission to construct pending planning approvals as required
- Preparing environmental impact assessments for Bridge International Academies development projects
- Preparing annual environmental audits for Bridge International Academies development projects
- Conduct site visits and investigations frequently
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Bridge International Academies Officer, Planning vacancy should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Urban and/or Regional Planning from a recognized university (2nd Class Honors and above);
- NEMA Uganda certification
- At least two years of post-undergraduate, full-time work experience
- Good team player in highly selective, fast-paced, building and construction environments
- Proof of relevant prior work experience include: working with local authorities
- Previous experience working in community development projects in low-income/informal environments
- Past experience in fast-growth, rapid-scale contexts in terms of obtaining development approvals (PPA2, Approved building plans and NEMA licenses), creating a network of contacts in relevant approving authorities, resolving development disputes etc. – e.g. A highly established physical planning firm
- Previous experience working with a culturally and socioeconomically diverse workforce
- High energy and enthusiasm level; willingness to do whatever necessary to get the job done
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in volatile, low-resource communities and runs on fees averaging just $6 a month per pupil. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand. Every dollar you spend is a dollar our customers, who live on less than $2 a day, will have to pay for.
- A customer advocate – Our customers – these families living on less than $2 a day per person – never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their customer benefit, experience, and value.
- A life-long learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates who wish to apply for this vacancy are encouraged to send their updated CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “NEMA Specialist / Officer, Planning.”
Deadline: 2nd May, 2016
Deadline: 2nd May, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline