Job Title: Market Linkages Project (Student Volunteer)
Organization: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems. IPA designs, rigorously evaluates, and refines these solutions and their applications together with decision-makers to ensure that the evidence created is used to improve opportunities for the world's poor. Since our founding in 2002, IPA has worked with over 350 leading academics to conduct over 450 evaluations in 51 countries. This research has informed hundreds of successful programs that now impact millions of individuals worldwide.
About IPA Project:
In the face of growing food demand from a burgeoning population, East African grain markets are plagued by poor integration. Given the inability of markets to efficiently move food from surplus to deficit regions, this poor integration has a major effect on both farmer incomes and on food security. The most likely culprits are imperfect information and contractual uncertainty, which lead to high search costs and large information rents for intermediaries. Improving farmer welfare and stimulating greater market integration, appears to require strategies that fundamentally shift the nature of intermediary relationships and the degree of contractual uncertainty.
The study brings together three institutions to implement an intervention that aims to 1) improve the information available to farmers and brokers across the country; 2) engage a novel technology to offer a completely new vehicle through which long-distance agricultural transactions might be conducted; and 3) provide the reputational and financial guarantees that may enable this new system to thrive.
Job Summary: The Market Linkages Project (Student Volunteer) will offer support midline data collection of the project Market Linkages in Uganda. The Market Linkages intern will work with the (Senior) Research Associates and other field staff on a multi-pronged research project which aims to address these research questions and build sustainable, private-sector solutions to some of the intermediation issues that have plagued African food markets. The student volunteer will work on a variety of tasks including, but not limited to: data management, cleaning of data sets, creating audit surveys, tracking surveys in the field and organizing midline data sets.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a Bachelor’s degree in economics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields Possession of a Master’s degree preferred
- The position offers an excellent opportunity for first hand project management and data management experience on a project at the intersection of agriculture markets and ICT, with an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research.
- Excellent Stata skills; Experience, comfort and fluency mandatory
- Previous data management experience
- Project management experience
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently and a team player;
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English; and
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred.
- Data Collection Data Management Development Research East Africa Food Security Internship Project Management Public Policy Social Sciences Volunteer
- Experience living in a developing country is a plus.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send an updated CV and a cover letter to email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com
In the email body: Put your full name, first (given) name followed by last (family) name.
Attachments: Please attach your resume and cover letter.
In the subject line: Copy exactly the following position line: IPA Student Volunteer: Market Linkages Project
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline