Job Title: Manager Surveillance
Organisation: Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Executive Director-Compliance
Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS) is a statutory body under the Ministry of Trade Industry and Cooperatives mandated to coordinate the elaboration of standards and quality of products and services so as to facilitate fair trade, promote local industries and protect consumers.
Job Summary: The Manager Surveillance will mainly develop and implement strategies for enforcing mandatory national standards to protect the health and safety of the public as well as the environment in line with departmental policies and procedures.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop strategic plan for the department which will enable UNBS realize its mandate
- Develop mechanism of supervising market surveillance activities throughout the country to ensure that substandard and expired products are reduced in line with UNBS policies and procedures.
- The jobholder will develop mechanisms for carrying out factory inspections to ensure that manufacturing processes and products conform to the requirements of national standards.
- Develop and coordinate collaborative frameworks with other regulatory agencies/ institutions in enforcement of mandatory standards in line with UNBS policies and procedures.
- The incumbent will develop procedures and guidelines on how to handle consumer complaints related to noncompliance to mandatory standard requirements
- Provide technical advisory information to industries and UNBS clientele for quality improvements
- Prepare an annual budget and work plan for the Department based on the Strategic Plan and available resources in enforcement of standards.
- Schedule meetings and stakeholder engagement to coordinate surveillance activities
- Develop strategic relationships with other regulators and development partners to supplement the compliance activities of UNBS.
- Develop and review systems, policies and procedures to maximize operational, productivity, efficiency and effectiveness to enhance customer service and delivery of improved performance results for the departments in line with UNBS policies and procedures.
- Provide leadership and technical support to departmental staff to achieve results in line with UNBS policies and procedures.
- Develop mechanisms of enforcing quality standards in line with departmental policies and procedures
- The jobholder will develop and implement a performance management plan for the department activities and undertake corrective actions to address poor or under performance.
- Prepare and submit periodic reports by collecting, analysing and summarizing information and trends in line with UNBS policies and procedures.
- Coordinate and drive the Bureau’s performance management system to ensure efficient performance and productivity of UNBS
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a Master’s Degree in science or other science related qualification, or law from a recognized University/Institution. Those with Masters Degrees in other fields other than Sciences MUST have an honours first degree in science
- Possession of Honours degree in either Chemistry, Biology, Food science, Food Technology,
- Engineering or any other science related qualification from a recognized University/Institution
- At least ten (10) years’ experience, five (5) years of which are at a senior Officer level in a reputable organization
- Significant experience in Standards, Quality Assurance, Metrology and Laboratory Testing areas and Quality Management Systems will be an added advantage
- Working knowledge of law enforcement activities
- Computer literacy skills i.e. proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and the Internet applications.
- Proven Analytical skills
- Planning skills focused on priority areas
- Good planning, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Strong Communication, negotiating, presentation and interpersonal skills
- ICT skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and the Internet applications among others)
- High level of integrity and professionalism
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with different stakeholder
How to Apply:
All qualified applicants should send their applications together with attached copies of all academic qualifications, copies of valid identity cards and detailed CVs with mobile telephone numbers indicated, names and contact details of three referees, to the address below;
The Executive Director,
Uganda National Bureau of Standards,
Plot M217 Nakawa Industrial Area,
P.O Box 6329,
Deadline: 10th May 2016 by 4:00pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline