Job Title: Africa Regional Support Accountant
Organization: Malaria Consortium
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Africa Finance Manager
About Malaria Consortium:
Malaria Consortium is the world’s leading not-for-profit organisation dedicated to the comprehensive control of malaria and other communicable diseases in Africa and Southeast Asia. Malaria Consortium works with communities, government and non-government agencies, academic institutions, and local and international organisations, to ensure good evidence supports delivery of effective services, providing technical support for monitoring and evaluation of programmes and activities for evidence-based decision-making and strategic planning. Malaria Consortium works to improve not only the health of the individual, but also the capacity of national health systems, which helps relieve poverty and support improved economic prosperity.
Job Summary: The Regional Finance team is responsible for overseeing the finances of the country programmes including donor reporting, budget preparation and all financial and management accounting and provides a link between the country offices and the global organisation to ensure a consistency of approach and high quality standards across all of Malaria Consortium. The Africa Support Accountant will support the AFM in supporting the region’s country finance teams to help them achieve their objectives of timely and accurate reporting and the sound financial management of Malaria Consortium’s portfolio of programmes in each country. In addition, the Africa Support Accountant will provide the financial monitoring and support for a number of Malaria Consortium’s multi country projects, which are based in the regional office in Kampala.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Financial Management and Reporting: Support the Africa Regional and Country Offices to:
- Prepare and maintain their accounts in accordance with Malaria Consortium’s Financial Policies and Procedures.
- Prepare budgets and forecasts, including the:
- Annual budget and revised forecasts.
- Mapping and phasing of budgets including those for multi-country programmes
- Ensure timely and accurate preparation of MCP and other external donor financial
- reporting as required
2. Financial Monitoring of Country, Regional and Multi Country Programmes (MCP)
Work with the CFMs to monitor costs and improve efficiencies by:
- Monitoring overhead costs and country level BvAs
- Reviewing recharge methods
- Improving cost recovery
- Investigating variances
- Review monthly variance and burn rate analysis on a monthly for Regional and MCP budget holders
- Review the monthly checklists and reconciliations prepared by each country office and Offer summary feedback to the AFM and the CFMs.
- Follow up on any issues, working with the teams to resolve these.
- Rendering support in the coordination on the internal audit of local offices.
- Assisting to clear audit queries and preparation of responses
3. Compliance and Quality Assurance in the Region:
- Conduct support visits to Countries to help ensure quality is maintained in all aspects of financial management.
- Ensure all country finance teams are clear on the processes and systems of financial management.
- Monitor adherence to Internal controls
- PSF accounting software:
- Be the focal point and expert user for the region.
- Offer training on the PSF accounting software.
- Work closely with HQ to resolve any issues on the PSF software.
- Review donor reports for small and medium sized grants
- Work with Partners to ensure they understand our requirements and continue to adhere to them
- Sit on the regional procurement committee to ensure compliance to MC policies and procedures, donor policies and procedures and most significantly obtain value for money
4. Mentoring / capacity building:
- Offer finance induction to new CFMs and non-finance staff and continue to support them.
- Act as the focal point for CFM queries
- Provide financial accounting support to Country Directors and senior non-finance staff.
- Offer technical support to new grants and Multicountry projects, to set up new teams, establish the finance systems and train new finance staff
5. Financial Systems Development:
· Work closely with the AFM to improve financial systems in the region and assist in introducing change where requested as part of the global improvement to provide timely and appropriate financial information to MC’s senior management team, project managers and budget holders
6. Business Development
- Technically support the countries to prepare proposal budgets for low and medium risk projects.
- Assist the Business Development Finance Team to prepare proposals and provide cover as required.
7. Strategic Input: Provide input into the strategic objectives of the finance team and how it can achieve its plans.
8. Legal, security and risk management
- Carry out spot checks, regular and ad-hoc, in the local country offices to test the financial controls.
- Review regional fixed asset registers
- Monitor maintenance or regional assets in accordance with MC asset management policy.
9. Human Resources:
- Provide a gap fill service for the financial management in country programmes as required due to staff absence from leave or resignation.
- Cover for the existing AFo FMA position as well as some AFM duties as needed.
- Actively support and motivate the local finance teams
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must ideally be a Fully Qualified accountant in a recognised global body e.g. ACA, ACCA, CIMA
- The applicant must hold a bachelor’s degree from a recognised university
- Knowledge of NGO donors and their financial reporting requirements
- At least eight years’ accountancy experience, with at least a year in a managerial position
- Past experience of USAID compliance
- Prior experience of reporting to other large donors
- Good working knowledge of accounting software
- Excellent computer skills with high proficiency in Microsoft excel
- Excellent analytical and reporting skills
- High level of English, both written and spoken
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Possess a strong ability to be able to manage and prioritise multiple tasks
- Past experience in training and developing capacity of Finance staff is desired
- Keen attention to detail
How to Apply:
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply online at the web link below.
Deadline: Monday, 3rd May, 2016 at 11:59 pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline