Job Title: HR Training & Development Officer
Organisation: Uganda Christian University (UCU)
Duty Station: Mukono, Uganda
Uganda Christian University was founded when the historic Bishop Tucker Theological College was promoted as a university in 1997. Bishop Tucker Theological College trained clergy and educators during its 84-year history from 1913-1997. The local chief, Hamu Mukasa, granted land for the college to operate in Mukono. International partnerships were part of the College’s missionary history. The Church Mission Society teamed with Ugandan leaders and others to assure the College had the necessary intellectual and other capital. By the late 1990s, the Church of Uganda sought to have a broader impact on society through the higher education - not only of clergy but of other professionals as well. Uganda Christian University was established in 1997.
In 2004, the Government of Uganda granted a charter to Uganda Christian University – the highest level of national accreditation. UCU was the first private University to receive such a charter from the Government.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Carry out evaluation training, collect and collate all completed evaluation forms across the University.
- Assist in reviewing returned evaluation forms regarding performance and any issuing.
- Assist in developing effective induction programmes for all in-coming staff members.
- Produce training materials for in – house training
- Extract training needs from the completed evaluation forms and liaise with the Supervisors or Head of department or faculty to meet the training needs.
- Keep an accurate record of all employees sponsored by UCU or self-funded to ensure where feasible that the University is paying fees on time and that those employees undertaking training complete the courses/programme in the prescribed time.
- Provide regular reports to the Director of Human Resource & Administration on training in progress, ongoing budget commitments and available resources to ensure that the university does not over extend itself in payments for training.
- Assist in reviewing staff development applications to ensure that proposed training is in line with proper utilization of resources and aligns with SDC policy. This includes verifying costs and the credibility of training programmes and providers.
- Identify /source for training providers who can offer training to UCU staff in groups.
- Assist in identifying training and development needs within the University.
- Assist line supervisors and trainers solve specific training problems, either on a one-to-one basis or in a group.
- Stay abreast with developments in training by reading relevant journals, going to meetings and attending relevant courses/conferences/seminars.
- Assist in receiving and monitoring staff applications for promotions and study funding.
- Screen applications for promotion and training to ascertain their credibility in line with the requirements of respective policies, personal specifications of posts and the overall objectives and strategic goals of respective departments and the university as a whole.
- Keep staff accountable and collect semester, travel and activity progress reports from staff and report back to respective committee or management.
- Write or keep records on staff statistics and activities related to evaluations, staff development and promotions.
- Develop instruments such as summaries/matrices to facilitate more efficient evaluation/vetting of applicants by University Boards and Committee.
- Perform any other job roles as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold ideally hold a Master’s degree in any of the following disciplines: Human Resource Management or Business Administration (Human Resource specialization) or Industrial Psychology or Organizational Behaviour. From an institution of Higher Education
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree in any of the following disciplines: Human Resource Management or Business Administration (Human Resource specialization) or Industrial Psychology or Organizational Behaviour or related area from a recognized accredited institution of higher learning.
- A minimum of two years’ working experience in a busy Human Resource Department / Function.
- Must be computer literate with proficiency in word processing, use of spreadsheets and PowerPoint.
- Experience in taking minutes.
- Excellent interpersonal skills especially when dealing with staff and visitors.
- Must be a person of high integrity with an excellent working ethic.
- Must be able to work under pressure to meet deadlines and be available to work after normal working hours.
- The applicant must be a Mature and Committed Christian
How to Apply:
All applicants are encouraged to send two (2) copies of an application letter together with an updated Curriculum Vitae and three references i.e. academic, leadership and pastoral. Please attach two (2) copies of academic and professional certificates and transcripts.
The Manager, Human Resource & Administration,
Uganda Christian University,
P.O. Box 4, Mukono, Uganda
Deadline: 6th May, 2016 by 5:00PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline