Job Title: Health Advisor
Organisation: Alliance Forum for Development (AFOD)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Programmes
Vacancy Number: AFOD-U- VA05/2016
Alliance Forum for Development (AFOD)-Uganda is a national NGO, registered with Uganda national NGO board and is mandated to support the government of Uganda in delivery of adolescent sexual reproductive health (ASRH), maternal and child nutrition (MCN), child protection, creating community resilience in food security, and research both in humanitarian and development programmes. AFOD Uganda with a fully-fledged office in Kampala and field office in Adjumani district is now starting programme implementation in Adjumani district to strengthen adolescent sexual reproductive health activities among refugees and host populations in Mungula I, II and Mireyi settlements in collaboration with district health office and other health partners.
Job Summary: The Health Advisor will be charged with planning, designing health programme intervention, identifying effective delivery strategies, and mobilizing resources. Additionally, link the organization to external donors; represent AFOD Uganda in cluster meetings, internal and external health fora. The incumbent will work as part of a core team to provide effective technical advice to the health sector components of the AFOD program in Uganda and will also be responsible for resource mobilization.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide high level strategic and technical advice to AFOD, partner development agencies and districts on health sector issues and programs in Uganda.
- The incumbent will develop and maintain an in-depth understanding of the health system of Uganda and advice on ways to increase the effectiveness of the health system and AFOD’s health program.
- Keenly analyze key strategic issues relevant to the health sector, including global and regional health and development issues as they relate to Uganda. Provide sound input to AFOD health agenda.
- Develop AFOD Uganda Health strategy that should fit into the AFOD’s strategic plan.
- The incumbent will enhance effectiveness by supporting effective engagement with donors, partner government agencies and other development partners, including key bilateral and multilateral institutions. This will include representing AFOD at the relevant fora and supporting donor coordination efforts in the health sector.
- Significantly contribute to the development and oversight of AFOD health initiatives in Uganda including AFOD program design, management, activity implementation and review processes, as well as corporate briefing and quality reporting responsibilities.
- Build the knowledge and capacity of AFOD staff engaged in the health sector, including mentoring, structured training and the development of a knowledge management strategy.
- Design and support in implementation of health operational research.
- Understand gender analysis and its application in integrating gender considerations into health programs, particularly in the context of Uganda.
- The incumbent will develop and implement strategies for conducting periodic program review/lesson learnt meetings/ based on the set and agreed upon periodic targets for the health programs and develop action plans for improvements including periodic report writing and feed back to stakeholders.
- Develop and monitor the implementation of annual and quarterly consolidated health work plans, procurement plans and budgets in line with the health program goals/objectives.
- Keenly monitor the compliance of the AFOD health team to Human Resources systems and policies as well as conduct supervisory Human Resource support activities to maintain a competent & motivated AFOD health team in line with the Human resources provisions of AFOD and Uganda.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a first degree in Medicine, Public Heath, Nursing or any health related discipline. Possession of a postgraduate qualification in health administration, Business Administration, project planning and management, public health, International Health, Global Health, Epidemiology or related area.
- At least five years’ experience in international development in the health sector, or other highly relevant health systems strengthening experience, is required for this position.
- Significant experience in developing and implementing a USAID, EU and Multi-donor funds.
- Proven experience with NGOs in both humanitarian and development field;
- Broad working knowledge of health and development, including an understanding of the main challenges for health systems and service improvement in Uganda and the broad range of regional experiences.
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective, high quality policy and technical input to program design/management, program quality and performance assessment processes, as part of ongoing efforts to improve effectiveness.
- Excellent analytical skills, sound judgment and the capacity to think strategically, including the ability to produce high quality policy materials and advice for development implementation.
- Prior work experience in managing or guiding health system development in one or more developing countries is desired
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including a demonstrated ability to engage at a senior level, build and maintain networks, provide advice and communicate effectively (both in writing and verbally) on sensitive issues with a culturally and professionally diverse range of stakeholders.
- Strong leadership and management skills, ability to multi-task and work under pressure;
- Excellent computer skills, including word, excel and databases, and demonstrate creativity, innovativeness and commitment for changing people’s lives;
- Demonstrated understanding of gender analysis and ability to incorporate gender into health program design/management and assessment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English;
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications accompanied with updated CVs in English and motivation letters; quoting the vacancy reference number (check top of advert) to the address below;
Human Resource Officer,
Alliance Forum for Development (AFOD), Uganda
Plot 17 Charles Lwanga Road, Minister’s Village, Ntinda,
P.O. BOX 11003 Kampala, Uganda.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 29th April 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline