Job Title: Head of Cards
Organisation: Barclays Bank UK
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Retail Director RBB Uganda / Regional Director Barclaycard International
About Barclays UK:
Barclays is a British multinational banking and financial services company headquartered in London. It is a universal bank with operations in retail, wholesale and investment banking, as well as wealth management, mortgage lending and credit cards. It has operations in over 50 countries and territories and has around 48 million customers. As of 31 December 2011, Barclays had total assets of US$2.42 trillion, the seventh-largest of any bank worldwide.
Job Summary: The Head of Cards will support Barclays Bank in the following;
- Representing Credit card and Acquiring Business on local Barclays Bank of Uganda Retail Management Committee
- In conjunction with Barclaycard International (later Absa Card) has responsibility for the direction, motivation, control and cost effectiveness of the Card business in Uganda
- Role includes team leadership, staff motivation, development and support.
- This role is also responsible for the provision of excellent customer service, which includes ensuring that any technological developments are understood and used to best effect.
- Implementing governance, risk, compliance and control within Barclaycard Uganda.
- Represents BI COO in respect of other credit card and acquiring businesses in Africa, outside of South Africa
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Stakeholder Management 35%
- Responsible for stakeholder management of key personnel within Barclays Bank of Uganda, BI, Absa Card and BAME.
- Stakeholder management of change projects (BI / BAME) to ensure delivery to meet obligations and business goals in Uganda and Africa
- Work in liaison with the regional BI team, support the management of relationships with key external stakeholders including Card Schemes, local regulators, other banks, suppliers and local industry bodies.
- Obtain mutually acceptable business and strategic solutions to issues raised or escalated within the relationship
- Represent BI business interests via regular attendance at local Retail Management Committee and other decision making forums
2. Developing Strategies: 20%
- Ensuring knowledge of developing technologies is kept up to date and implemented as appropriate.
- Work in close conjunction with BI, BAME and Country RMC determine, develop and implement strategies and tactics to achieve/exceed targets and combat competitive threats.
- Make value based recommendations regarding segment development, new products and services.
3. Effective Management and Development of Staff: 20%
- Ensure effective and efficient deployment of staff with overall responsibility for motivation, direction, control, training and co-ordination of use.
- Ensure Succession Planning is in place and updated to reflect the growth and internal changes that the African Centre has and will go through
- Regularly review and make recommendations regarding further centralization of other African card centres into Uganda, making use of greater specialization, delivering improved service and reduced costs.
4. Governance, Control and Risk: 20%
- Understand technical/regulatory matters affecting the business. Ultimate responsibility for the continuing compliance and use of such matters
- Assimilation of plans both strategic and annual covering the Credit card business with responsibility for turning plans into reality
- Ensure Governance, Compliance, Risk and Control are implemented and adhered to meet Group Standards by Centre. Staff at all levels to be clear on what is expected of them. Any new regulatory or Group requirements are implemented and reviewed throughout Barclaycard in a timely fashion.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Barclays Bank UK Head of Cards career vacancy should have several years’ experience within similar roles, ideally managing large operational/processing centres.
- Excellent numeracy skills i.e. will be required to obtain, prepare, assess and assimilate very complex and detailed information
- Excellent People Management Skills
- Good negotiation skills
- Excellent interpersonal Skills
- Experience at managing cross border and dealing with other cultures
- Good PC Skills
- Essential to be innovative and pro-active
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural environment
- Employee representative bodies
- Broad knowledge and understanding of Barclaycard products/policies/plans/objectives in order to pro-actively embrace systems/procedure changes within the function
- Broad understanding and knowledge of the impact of short, medium and long-term plans of the business and the effects of them on other functions, in order to implement the plans in the most effective and holistic manner.
- Will be required to have an understanding of local, as well as, European statutes that relate to role holders function. The most important of these will be Visa and MasterCard regulations. Is likely to be personally responsible for compliance within function. Other statutes may include:
- Law relating to employment of People, Health and Safety at work, Money Laundering regulations, Data Protection Act, KYC and FSA
- Good knowledge of IT and telephony systems
- An understanding of the credit card industry
- Excellent track record of management experience at Junior, Middle and senior Level, with proven examples of the successful Management of resources such as budgets, people and premises in an operational area.
- Applicant with management experience in a multi-cultural environment is desired
- Previous experience of remote site management within a matrix management model is an added advantage
- Prior exposure and experience of working in with other areas of the business in order to obtain an understanding of Commercial, Optimisation, Front-end Lending practices and the operational requirements of the business is desired
- Barclays Competencies: Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence, Stewardship
How to Apply:
If you feel challenged by any of the above positions, and believe you can deliver on key deliverables as outlined above, upload your application letter, current curriculum vitae and photocopies of academic certificate to our recruitment website detail below:
Barclays is an equal opportunity employer that recruits, develops and promotes people on merit, and rewards outstanding performance, regardless of background and gender.
For queries contact us on 0417122453 or email: email@example.com
Deadline: 4th May, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline