Job Title: Head Communication & Advocacy
Organization: Uganda AIDS Commission (UAC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Director - Policy, Research & Programming
The Uganda AIDS Commission (UAC) was established in 1992 by an Act of Parliament (Cap 208) and is situated under the Presidency of the Republic of Uganda. The Act provides for the Commission to Oversee, Plan and Coordinate AIDS Prevention and Control activities throughout Uganda - in particular to mobilize, expedite and monitor resources for the HIV/AIDS control programmes and activities.
Job Summary: The Head Communication & Advocacy will oversee all communication and advocacy programmes of UAC in the promotion of the national and international response to HIV/AIDS epidemic in Uganda; and to oversee the execution of the Public relations function.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Offer timely technical guidance on advocacy policy and strategy formulation for UAC and the multi-sectoral response
· Manage the development of the National HIV/AIDS advocacy and public relations policies and strategies
· Synthesize and translate technical HIV/AIDS information and messages for consumption by the different stakeholders and audiences
· Actively engage the media and public relations entities within the multi-sectoral response for accurate publicity and effective communication of HIV/AIDS issues
· Develop strategies and guidelines for Behavioral Change Communication (BCC) and support implementation of the BCC initiatives in respect of the national response to HIV/AIDS
· Technically support the Director General in the preparation of accurate and timely communication for the public about the Institution and the HIV/AIDS response
· Support the National HIV/AIDS Message Clearing Committee and monitor the HIV/AIDS information dissemination to the public by stakeholders
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should hold an honors Bachelor’s Degree in Mass communication from a recognized institution. Possession of a Post graduate diploma in Mass Communication from a recognized institution.
· A minimum of five years’ working experience, Two (2) of which must have been served at a level of senior Public Relations officer in Government or reputable organization.
· Skills in networking
· Excellent planning, organizing and coordinating skills
· Excellent communication skills
· Influencing and negotiation skills
· Lobbying skills
· Proven track record of advocacy work, including development of communication and advocacy strategies, influencing policy within Government and civil society
· High degree of creativity and innovation
· Excellent Public relations and customer care
· Good at public speaking
· Good IT Skills
· Proficient in the use of digital and social media tools
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should provide a cover letter expressing interest in the job, a detailed CV, including present position, names, addresses, and phone contacts of three professional referees, copies of professional/educational certificates and send it to:
The Director General, Uganda AIDS Commission, Plot 1-3 Salim Bay Road Ntinda, and P.O Box 10779, Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 13th May 2016