Job Title: Finance Assistant
Organization: RTI International
Project Name: USAID Literacy Achievement and Retention Activity Program (LARA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Accountant (Senior Accountant)
RTI International is one of the world’s leading research institutes, dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. Our staff of more than 3,700 provides research and technical services to governments and businesses in more than 75 countries in the areas of health and pharmaceuticals, education and training, surveys and statistics, advanced technology, international development, economic and social policy, energy and the environment, and laboratory testing and chemical analysis.
About USAID LARA Program:
The Literacy Achievement and Retention Activity is a five-year USAID activity that supports the Ministry of Education Science Technology and Sports (MoESTS), Government of Uganda’s aim of improving early grade reading outcomes and enhancing safe school environments for children in primary grades utilizing EGR curriculum and methodologies. LARA is expanding the curriculum and methodologies developed and rolled out in SHRP districts to an additional 28 districts and will work with partners to improve reading skills in three local languages (Luganda, Runyoro/ Rutoro, Runyankole/ Rukiga) and English for early primary grades.
Job Summary: The Finance Assistant will be responsible for assisting the Accountant in ensuring that the overall financial processes are adhered to and executed in a timely and quality way. This position will assist in ensuring that the internal finance processes are followed and that cash flow and other financial forecasts are prepared. The Finance Assistant will be responsible for posting entries in the Accounting Software ensuring that all project financial data are kept up-date and that interested parties get accurate and timely feedback and reports. The Finance Assistant will also be responsible for checking field trip expense liquidations, and ensuring that any cash not spent is deposited accordingly. The Finance Assistant will receive and process all invoices, expense reconciliation/record forms and requests for payment on time. The incumbent will support Field Assistants in terms of understanding financial procedures, support with their accountabilities, and help with work plan development.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Post entries in the Accounting Software ensuring that all project financial data are kept up-date and that interested parties can get timely feedback and reports
- Update and maintain files, including filing of general ledger journal vouchers and accounts payable documentation
- Pay advances as may be authorized
- The jobholder will be receiving in-coming cash and cheques
- Receive revenue, issue receipt and bank revenue
- Ensure safe custody of funds
- In charge of petty cash maintenance
- Regularly check field trips expense liquidations and ensuring that any cash not spent is deposited
- Receive and process all invoices, expense reconciliation/record forms and request for payment on time
- Offer technical support with the preparation of budgets, cash flow and any other financial forecasts
- Assist the Accountant in the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports.
- Provide support to the Field Assistants to understand financial procedures, to prepare accountabilities, and to develop work plans
- Offer technical support in making payments using mobile money for activities in the field
- Ensure that VAT claims are compiled for the Project
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants for the USAID LARA Project Finance Assistant job opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s degree or a diploma in either in either Business studies or Accounting or Financial Management from a recognized institution.
- Membership or part qualification with professional bodies such as CPA, ACCA.
- An Advanced Level Certificate with at least two Principal Passes obtained at one sitting.
- One year of experience
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills
- Excellent communication, organization and reporting skills, team player, trustworthy and responsible.
- Keen attention to detail
- Computer literacy skills i.e. Proficiency in excel and knowledge in other accounting software packages
- Ability to work effectively with minimum supervision
- Able to work under strict deadlines
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send updated CVs including three work related referees and cover letters to the Human Resource Manager by e-mail to email@example.com. Emails should not exceed 2MB.
Deadline: 20th April, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline