Job Title: People Operations Associate
Organization: Bridge International Academies
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Bridge International Academies is the world’s largest and fastest-growing chain of primary and pre-primary schools with more than 400 academies and 120,000 pupils in Kenya and Uganda. We democratize the right to succeed by giving families living in poverty access to the high-quality education that will allow their children to live a very different life. We leverage experts, data, and technology in order to standardize and scale every aspect of quality education delivery, from how and where academies are built to how teachers are selected and trained, and how lessons are delivered and monitored for improvement. We are vertically-integrated, tech-enabled, and on our way to profitability. Bridge expects to continue rapid expansion in East Africa, and will be launching operations in Nigeria in September 2015, with India to follow in 2016.
Job Summary: The People Operations Associate will be part of the Personnel Management team within People Operations that is responsible for managing our academy staff employment life cycle i.e. recruitment, onboarding and induction, separations and such related activities. This position will require consistent, effective and timely collaboration with the Academy Operations Team which interacts directly with our Academy Staff and our Customer Experience Team which manages our Academy Staff. Your customer will be any one of our 5000+ Bridge employees who educate around 100,000 pupils at our 405 academies in Kenya and Uganda. You will be accountable for addressing their questions/concerns/issues effectively and as per agreed turnaround times.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In charge of the maintenance of academy staff files as per agreed process and guidelines to reflect current reality of employee’s life cycle
- Responsible for the data entry of personnel details of candidates for academy staff positions
- Follow up on NSSF registration for employees
- In charge of resolving HR queries on benefits or grievances from Academy Staff
- Render support in processing termination and issuance of warning letter to academy staff
- Assist in processing timely reports on asset recovery
- Perform clerical functions like printing, photocopying, scanning etc.
- Responsible for the registration of trainees who attend our residential training programme
- Verification of academic and professional documents
- In charge of the collection of staff details
- Onboarding and induction
- Issuance of training and employment contracts
- Ensuring transport refunds for all trainees
- Phone screening of candidates (if applicable)
- Reference checks on candidates (if applicable)
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Bridge International Academies People Operations Associate job placement should preferably hold a Diploma in Business Management or HR
- One or two years’ experience in a similar position
- Fast and accurate typing (25 WPM)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (English and Kiswahili)
- Strong problem-solving skills: you should be able to identify the root cause, provide a solution, discuss the solution with Supervisor and help execute.
- Strong interpersonal skills: you should be able to connect with our customer, the Academy Staff over phone and in-person at the training site; ability to communicate the Company HR policies with compassion and understanding.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills: you should be able to speak clearly and persuasively in all situations and also lead written communications to our Academy Staff on queries.
- Keen attention to detail: you should be able to demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness of own work.
- Adaptability: you should be flexible and adapt to changing environment.
- Dependability: you should be reliable, consistent and alert your Supervisors in case of any changes to schedule well in advance.
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in volatile, low-resource communities and runs on fees averaging just $6 a month per pupil. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand. Every dollar you spend is a dollar our customers, who live on less than $2 a day, will have to pay for.
- A customer advocate – Our customers – these families living on less than $2 a day per person – never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their customer benefit, experience, and value.
- A life-long learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates who wish to apply for this vacancy are encouraged to send their updated CVs and cover letters online at the web link below.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline