Job Title: Human Resource Officer
Organization: Village Enterprise
Reports to: Country Director
Duty Station: Soroti, Uganda
Village Enterprise is an International non-governmental organization whose mission is to equip people living in extreme poverty with the resources to create sustainable businesses. Village Enterprise has made a strategic decision to direct its poverty alleviation efforts on people living in extreme poverty in rural, sub-Saharan Africa. Village Enterprise targets the poor, provides business training, seed capital/startup funds and on-going mentoring to over 10,000 new entrepreneurs to start 3,000 enterprises each years. Since its inception in 1987, Village Enterprise has started over 33,000 micro enterprises.
Job Summary: The Human Resource Officer will mainly be responsible for staff recruitment, staff policy development and ensuring HR activities are conducted in line with Village Enterprise policies and procedures and in accordance with Uganda employment laws.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Develop HR Systems, Policies and Procedures
- Improve HR systems, policies and procedures and contribute to their definition, elaboration and implementation
- Support initiatives geared towards creation of a safe, healthy and happy workplace
- The incumbent will also create and track employment contracts
- Maintain an active and organized data bank of applicants for various positions
- Develop procedures for staff retirement taking into consideration any packages that might come with it
- Maintain and update Field Staff HR Manual, working closely with other HR staff and legal Counsel to maintain legal compliance
- Develop Manual for any HR activities that fall outside of core HR manual
2. Staff hiring, orientation/induction and retention
- Keenly review, standardize and prepare recruitment materials including job descriptions, job specifications, adverts and interview questions for positions to be filled
- Conduct short listing, coordinate and participate in interviews
- Manage all new hire employment forms
- Plan and conduct/coordinate new employee orientation including provision of information about policies, job duties, working conditions, wages, and opportunities for promotion and employee benefits etc.
- Coordinate and schedule staff Performance Appraisals
3. Legal Compliance:
- Display in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risk and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Orient new international staff to Village Enterprise as well as to HR Policies and Procedures
- Work closely with Organization lawyers to ensure all international staff have work permits
- Ensure recovery of all organization items in possession of any staff departing from the organization
4. Staff Professional Development:
- Support the field management team with professional development goals for staff
- Ensure that all promotions are properly justified both in terms of performance and in terms of compensation.
- Manage disputes and grievances effectively
- Ensure exit interviews are carried out and appropriate records are kept when individuals leave the organization
- Work in liaison with different team leads to conduct Performance Reviews and develop appropriate tools for staff capacity building
5. Others: Any other tasks that may be deemed necessary
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution with relevant experience in human resources management (HRM), including recruitment and personnel management required.
- Two or more years of HR working experience required
- Broad knowledge and understanding of Uganda Labor laws
- Proven ability to implement and manage all aspects of HRM in line with current practices and trends
- Proven ability to gain the trust and confidence of colleagues and to handle confidential matters discreetly and have experience in conflict resolution
- Ability to competently assess priorities; manage a variety of complex activities simultaneously in a time-sensitive environment, and meet competing deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact professionally with culturally and linguistically diverse staff
- Proven ability to successfully coordinate activities with senior management staff
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully on a team in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent organizational skills
- Keen attention to detail.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send the following documents via E-mail only to email@example.com:
- Updated resume / CV
- A cover letter describing yourself, and a list of references
The subject header for the email: “Human Resource Officer”, theugandanjobline.com website – Your Name.” If someone referred you for this position, please include his/her name in the subject as “Referral: Name”
For example: “Human Resource Officer, Referral: theugandanjobline.com – Okello Moses”
Deadline: 25th May, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline