Job Title: Finance Officer
Organisation: Mercy Corps
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Senior Finance Officer
About Mercy Corps:
Mercy Corps is an International NGO that exists to alleviate poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps has been fully registered in Uganda as an operational NGO. Currently Mercy Corps has an office in Kampala and is implementing Food Security programs which comprises of Water and Sanitation, Livelihood and Agriculture and Conflict Mitigation Management Program in North and North Eastern Uganda.
Job Summary: The Mercy Corps Field Finance officer will be responsible for the assigned field office finances, compliance, budget monitoring, reporting, resources management, coordination with others, etc. He/she is also responsible for updating and tracking all assets and finance files.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follow all Mercy Corps policies, procedures, grant compliance and documentation requirements.
- Implement and Make sure all Mercy Corps FFM, procurement, assets mgt, HR policies and procedures are implemented.
- Implement and Make sure all respective donors and local Gov’t rules and regulations are respected.
- Make sure that there is compliance with GAAPs, Ugandan and US law and standard accounting practice.
- Responsible for monitoring costs as per the available grant and budget details and monthly budgets vs actual reports.
- Provide on-going orientation, training and support to all Mercy Corps program and finance staff on Mercy Corps and respective donor’s rules and regulations.
- Review and track all grants/budget purchases and contracts and other commitments for the office.
- Provide financial review for all advances, purchase requests, quotation analysis, purchase orders, expense report, payment requests and others within his/her limit.
- Code all expenditures following the standard chart of accounts, coded budget and record to the accounting software or recording system and send to main office for review and posting every week.
- Match invoices with GRN and other required documents.
- Prepare weekly and monthly cash requirement for the office, send to main office and make sure sufficient cash is available for the office.
- Manage cash and bank payments, record them and reconcile with bank statements and cash counts.
- Make surprise, weekly and monthly cash counts and document them as per the current MC policy.
- Reconcile bank balances with bank statement, all advances and send to main office with month end transactions and report.
- Make sure all field level income taxes, withholding taxes, VAT and other taxes are withheld and paid accordingly.
- Collect all staff timesheets, review them, prepare summary and send them to main office every month.
- Actively participate in preparation of operating and grant budgets.
- Make frequent site visits and work with the program team for physical check and to ensure payments are being made accordingly and procurements are properly made whenever necessary.
- Maintain all donor files and ensure they are well labeled, fully updated with all contracts, submitted reports, governing clauses and all other relevant documents.
- Be adaptable and flexible to take new tasks and new assignments as requested from time to time.
- Assist other finance functions and offices when ever need arises.
- Perform any other tasks to be assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should possess a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in accounting or finance is required
- Four or more years’ experience in grants and financial management and accounting.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of donor rules and regulations is required.
- Three or more years’ international NGO/PVO experience is preferred.
- Strong accounting skills and experience, including management of the general ledger, journal entries, payroll, payables and balance sheet.
- Demonstrated experience and skill with financial reports preparation and presentation and proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel and accounting software experience.
- Prior management experience and strong organizational skills preferred.
- Excellent oral and written English skills
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications including a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates to the Human Resource Manager, Kampala Head Office in Nsambya Estate Road, Kampala Head Office in Nsambya on Plot 1102 Nsambya Estate Road. Kampala, Uganda. E-mailed applications with cover letter to: email@example.com will also be accepted.
NB: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by Mercy Corps. Female Candidates are encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 26th April, 2016