Job Title: Finance Officer Field/ Roving
Organisation: Mercy Corps
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Mercy Corps is a leading global relief and development agency saving and improving lives in the world’s toughest places. In more than 40 countries, we partner with local people to put bold ideas into action, help them overcome adversity and build stronger communities. We help communities survive and move beyond emergencies. When natural disasters strike, economies collapse or conflict flares, Mercy Corps is there. Working with communities, we leverage local logic to help people transform their lives to grow more food, earn higher incomes and ultimately advocate for their needs. We see global challenges as an invitation to pioneer innovative, sustainable solutions.
Job Summary: The Finance Officer Field/ Roving will be responsible for assigned field office finances, compliance, budget monitoring, reporting, resources management, coordination with others, etc. The incumbent will be responsible for updating and tracking all assets and finance files. He/she is responsible to make sure that all AAM, segregation of duties and policies and procedures are respected as per the FFM, procurement manual, assets mgt and other manuals/policies and procedures. The incumbent tracks contracts, leases and procurements for the office.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follow all Mercy Corps policies, procedures, grant compliance and documentation requirements.
- The incumbent will implement and make sure all Mercy Corps FFM, procurement, assets management, HR policies and procedures are implemented.
- Implement and Make sure all respective donors and local Gov’t rules and regulations are respected.
- Ensure compliance with GAAPs, Ugandan and US law and standard accounting practice.
- In charge of monitoring costs as per the available grant and budget details and monthly budgets vs actual reports.
- Make surprise, weekly and monthly cash counts and document them as per the current MC policy.
- Provide on-going orientation, training and support to all Mercy Corps program and finance staff on Mercy Corps and respective donor’s rules and regulations.
- Keenly review and track all grants/budget purchases and contracts and other commitments for the office.
- Provide financial review for all advances, purchase requests, quotation analysis, purchase orders, expense report, payment requests and others within his/her limit.
- Code all expenditures following the standard chart of accounts, coded budget and record to the accounting software or recording system and send to main office for review and posting every week.
- Match invoices with GRN and other required documents.
- Prepare weekly and monthly cash requirement for the office, send to main office and make sure sufficient cash is available for the office.
- The Finance Officer will manage cash and bank payments, record them and reconcile with bank statements and cash counts.
- Reconcile bank balances with bank statement, all advances and send to main office with month end transactions and report.
- Ensure all field level income taxes, withholding taxes, VAT and other taxes are withheld and paid accordingly.
- Collect all staff timesheets, review them, prepare summary and send them to main office every month.
- Actively participate in preparation of operating and grant budgets.
- Make frequent site visits and work with the program team for physical check and to ensure payments are being made accordingly and procurements are properly made whenever necessary.
- Maintain all donor files and ensure they are well labeled, fully updated with all contracts, submitted reports, governing clauses and all other relevant documents.
- Be adaptable and flexible to take new tasks and new assignments as requested from time to time.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Support other finance functions and offices when ever need arises.
- Perform any other tasks to be assigned by the supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a BA/S or equivalent in accounting or finance is required.
- At least four years’ experience in grants and financial management and accounting.
- At least three years international NGO/PVO experience is preferred.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of donor rules and regulations is required.
- Strong accounting skills and experience, including management of the general ledger, journal entries, payroll, payables and balance sheet.
- Demonstrated experience and skill with financial reports preparation
- Good presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports.
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel and accounting software experience.
- Demonstrated ability to support programmatic objectives with timely and meaningful financial information is essential.
- Proven ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
- An impeccable professional standard of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential.
- Prior management experience and strong organizational skills preferred.
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps and sub grantees field offices and project sites approximately 50%.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan candidates should send their applications including a cover letter clearly stating the salary requirements, updated CV (with three professional referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates to the Human Resource Manager, Kampala Head Office on 4th Floor Embassy Plaza, Plot 1188-1190 Ggaba Road. The E-mail applications with cover letter should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 29th April 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline