Job Title: Finance Manager
Organisation: Food for the Hungry (FH)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Country Director
Food for the Hungry (FH) is a Christian international relief and development organization that has been working in Uganda since 1989. FH’s primary goal is to respond to development needs and complex humanitarian emergencies. FH is currently operating programs in more than 26 countries and has national offices in the UK, Canada, Switzerland, Korea, United States of America and Japan. In Uganda, FH is operational in the communities of Pader, Kitgum, Lamwo, Agago, Kole, Kween, Mbale, and Mukono Districts implementing programs in four main sectors of Education; Food Security and livelihoods; Health/Nutrition and Disaster Risk Reduction; with the Head office located it Kampala.
Job Summary: The Finance Manager (FM) provides strategic financial management leadership for FH within a country office and ensures compliance with policies and procedures. This position is responsible for managing the Finance unit and ensuring that routine monthly finance schedules and reporting deadlines are met. Through high-level analysis of past spending and projections, the FM provides key input and recommendations to Program Managers in the development of new budgets as well as the effective management of current programs. The Finance Manager is a member of Country Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and participates in regular SLT meetings according to the SLT charter and schedules and is in general responsible for overall financial management and compliance. The Finance Manager position is to ensure that FH achieves the Vision, Mission and Values (VMV) through effective and efficient management and implementation of the Finance unit. The Finance Manager ensures all internal controls and finance functions work to provide appropriate support to the program. The Finance Manager provides timely reports and advice to the country director and participates in strategic planning.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Financial Management and Compliance (approximately 50% of time).
- The jobholder will develop, coordinate and implement plans for the control, monitoring and reporting of all country office financial operations;
- Cultivate and maintain an expertise on the rules and regulations of various donors and provide guidance in the area of donor compliance;
- Maintain current knowledge of local government requirements related to financial matters and ensure compliance with tax regulations and other legal requirements.
- Keenly review payments and ensure they are in compliance with FH requirements before their approval by the Country Director.
2. Internal Controls and Audit Support (approximately 20% of time).
- Carry out regular checks of FH’s accounting activities in all its site offices, including monthly reviews of financial transactions to check for appropriate documentation, correct account assignment and approvals;
- Ensure that adequate internal controls are in place, closely monitor all financial activities and keep the Country Director advised of all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial performance;
- Take a leadership role in facilitating internal (Africa Region Internal Auditor) or external audits. Work closely with the international office and other stakeholders in the planning and coordination of any of these audits as in a team we stand and defend effectively;
- Take appropriate action with departments concerned to address audit findings and recommendations, follow through on action plan commitments and share all through the CD to the key levels or offices;
3. Finance Unit Leadership and Management (approximately 15% of time).
- Provides oversight to the Finance unit and manage the Finance Team to follow routine weekly and monthly schedules and meet deadlines;
- Work collaboratively with the HR and Administration Manager to recruit, orient and train all finance department staff;
- Leads and nurtures the spiritual growth and integration of a biblical worldview and the values of: Christian calling to service of the poor, excellence, stewardship, servanthood with Finance Team members.
- Manage finance staff travel and vacation to coordinate staff absences to avoid gaps and minimize risks in key responsibility areas;
- Identify capacity development needs within the depart9ment and organize appropriate trainings.
4. Financial Reporting (Internal and External) (approximately 10% of time).
- Supervise monthly financial closing process in Sun System (review, upload and post monthly journals);
- Ensure that on monthly basis balance sheet reconciliations are completed on time and that country standard report and supporting data are reviewed and produced on a monthly basis;
- Consolidate monthly financial reports to provide project managers with timely reports on fiscal health, including revenue/expenditure reports, expense reports by grant and budget variance reports, among others;
- Complete the monthly country office finance scorecard and any of the associated request in regard;
- Direct the preparation of, reviews and approves all donor financial reports in respect to accounting, legal and contractual requirements and ensures the review of such reports by the Country Director prior to submission;
- Fully respond on all the reviews at any time from the RFM, the Global office or Associate Office (AO) directed to the FM. Due to urgency, copy RFM and CD or head of the programs.
5. Cash Flow Planning and Cash Management (approximately 5% of time).
- Keenly review, upload and post monthly Cash Flow journals into Sun system before monthly deadlines;
- Regularly monitor monthly cash flow, and work with program staff and others to better estimate cash needs;
- Keenly monitor and assess cash levels in country offices vis-à-vis spending plans, contractual commitments, etc. to sufficient operational funds available, and vendor and labor payments are made promptly upon receipt of necessary justification documentation.
- Ensure regular contact with local bank management on routine operational matters with country offices including negotiation of exchange rate, e-banking, timely and efficiently give information and guide accordingly and where applicable;
- Enforce FH Finance policy on program advances, credit terms, credit cards and use of bank payment instruments and ensure compliance with FH requirements;
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a degree in Business Administration (Accounting) or Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) from a recognized and certified institution or university. A Master’s degree is an asset.
- Possession of professional accounting qualifications i.e. CPA or ACCA
- A minimum of six years’ experience in a similar or senior finance position with an International NGO preferably with experience of Africa south of the Sahara.
- Practical experience in using a wide range of accounting software including V22.214.171.124 Sun systems, Vision XL and Vision Executive on hand and fluent operation level.
- Proven experience in treasury activities, establishment and monitoring of budgets, and an understanding of data processing concepts and systems.
- Proven expertise with USAID/UN/OFDA/DFID rules and regulation on Procurement and Financial Management
- Broad working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and a practical knowledge of financial systems and internal controls.
- Christian commitment to serving the poor and in full agreement with FH’s Christian foundation and beliefs as expressed in our Vision, Mission and Values
- Has thorough understanding of development and/or missions
- Has a strong aptitude for organizational change, participatory and servant leadership, innovation, learning, team building
- The applicant must be interested in the growth and well-being of the staff and strong people-management and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability in analyzing financial documents, projections, expenditures, and accruals.
- Proven ability to manage, motivate and mentor staff at all levels and create a positive team environment.
- Application of computer Literate (Microsoft Suite, Advanced Excel)
- Compatible with FH VMV with proven leadership skills, strong Christian values and able to work in a cross-cultural setting.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills, team building skills, and ability to work in a cross-cultural environment with multi-national staff.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to diagnose finance issues and mitigate effectively with a balanced procedural aspect avoiding any conflict of interest in a cost effective manner.
- Has a vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ
- Must be a Ugandan National
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by submitting only electronic copies of not more than 2MB of an application letter, a detailed CV, contact telephone numbers, copies of relevant testimonials/certificates, names/contact details of three referees, addressed to:
The Human Resources Manager, Food for the Hungry Uganda
Email to: email@example.com
Deadline: 22nd April 2016 by 5.00pm.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline