Job Title: Driver
Organisation: Medical Research Council/ Uganda Virus Research Institute (MRC/UVRI)
Funding Source: MRC (UK) and U.S. PEPFAR
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Fleet Supervisor
The Medical Research Council/ Uganda Virus Research Institute (MRC/UVRI) based at the Uganda Virus Research Institute in Entebbe is a bilateral multi-disciplinary research organization funded by, the Medical Research Council (UK) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Uganda under the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and other donor agencies. Established in 1988, the MRC/UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS is an internationally recognized center of excellence for research on HIV infection and related diseases, contributing knowledge on the revolving epidemic, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention, and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide.
Job Summary: The incumbent will drive organisational vehicles safely and efficiently as per the fleet guidelines in fulfillment of unit programmes.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive the designated vehicles according to approved routes, schedules and guiding policies.
- Ensure vehicles are driven in a safe operating condition.
- The driver will also ensure vehicles are not overloaded with passengers or supplies.
- Communicate regularly with supervisor on all matters arising from duty.
- In charge of the maintenance of a smart appearance when on duty.
- Report any Vehicle break down on time.
- Actively participate in the loading/offloading of supplies.
- Ensure the cleanliness of the vehicle allocated at all times.
- Fill and complete Vehicle Journey logs and Fuel record forms as required.
- Observe all Uganda Traffic rules and regulations at all times.
- Financial Responsibilities: The job holder should ensure proper utilisation of the vehicles assigned all the time.
- People Management Responsibilities: The job holder must interact with staff and participants in a cordial and friendly manner in order to establish a good working relationship.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold an Ordinary level certificate with a Valid Drivers’ Licence with Classes B, CM, & DL and credits in mathematics and English.
- At least five years’ experience in a reputable organisation.
- Knowledge of vehicle mechanics is an added advantage and training in defensive driving is desired
- Training in defensive driving is desirable
- The job holder must at all times carry out their responsibilities with due regard to the MRC’s: Code of conduct, Equality & Diversity Policy, Health & Safety Policy, Information technology policy and Data Protection Act
- Fluency in both written and oral English
Personal Competencies: Integrity, Emotional Resourcefulness, Ability to Learn, Forward Thinking, Reliability, Openness to Others, Independence, Analytical Thinking, Conceptual Thinking, Proactivity, Results Orientation, Thoroughness, Concern for Excellence, Flexibility Towards Others, Service Orientation and Development Orientation
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications letters, copies of academic qualifications and curriculum vitae including names, telephone contacts and email addresses of three (3) referees should be sent only via e mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the position title in the subject line of the email.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Deadline: 28th April 2016 by 05:00pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline