Job Title: Deputy Executive Director
Organization: National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Executive Director
Job Ref: NEMA/ADV/EXT/02/2016
The National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) was established under the National
Environment Act Cap. 153 to promote and ensure sound environmental management practices for sustainable development in Uganda.
Job Summary: The Deputy Executive Director will oversee the process of developing and strengthening NEMA’s effectiveness in coordinating, monitoring and supervising environment management functions stipulated in the National legislations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Managing, Organizing and Decision making
- Deputizing the Executive Director in the day-today management and coordination of operations and technical services of the NEMA;
- Responsible for all Board meetings and implementation of all Board resolutions in consultation with the Executive Director;
- Mentoring and supervising the Directors of all NEMA Directorates;
- Making decisions that result in efficient and effective utilization of NEMA resources;
- Working with Management and staff to develop strategies and systems that are effective and aligned with the NEMA’s Vision, Mission and ensuring that such strategies and systems are effectively implemented;
- Working with Management and staff to establish accountability standards and systems that track the NEMA’s effectiveness and impact.
2. Organizational Effectiveness
- Deputizing the Executive Director in contributing to the development and implementation of the strategic Plan;
- Managing change in the organization caused by internal and external factors;
- In charge of communicating the requirements and expected performances of the organization’s operational plan to all key stakeholders;
- Assuming leadership at various phases of planning, implementation, and performance evaluation.
3. Environmental Management:
- Deputize the Executive Director in designing strategies, systems, policies and procedures for environmental management;
- Preparing papers on environmental policies and strategies to be tabled in the Board’s technical
- Making briefs to the Policy Committee on the Environment and the Minister for Environment on emerging environmental challenges and issues requiring policy intervention;
- Actively contributing to preparation of Cabinet papers relating to Environment management.
4. Staff Management: As the Chairman Human Resource Development Committee of Management, design strategies and tools for hiring new staff and assessing the performance of staff;
5. Accountability and Program Monitoring:
- Advising on cost implications of plans and activities;
- In charge of monitoring income and expenditure and demonstrating where savings can be made.
5. Performance Measurement and Evaluation
- Supporting the Executive Director in instituting performance measurement practices that are best suited to analyze and adjust grant policies to help carry out NEMA’s goals and that are best aligned with its mission;
- Ensuring that activities and programs are evaluated;
- Using feedback from performance measurement and evaluation systems to improve NEMA operations.
6. Stakeholder focus: Developing a sound understanding of the organization and its business environment, determines what information is needed by various stakeholders, seeks feedback from various stakeholders, provides relevant and timely information for decision making
7. Others: Performing any other tasks that may be assigned by the Executive Director.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold an advanced Degree in Natural/ Physical Sciences, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Environmental Resource Management, Environmental Economics, Environmental Law, Business Administration and /or Public Administration
- Possession of a PhD is an added advantage.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of global scientific Environmental issues
- At least fifteen (15) years’ professional working experience in Corporate technical supervisory level with five years’ experience which should be at managerial level;
- Proven experience in the following is a MUST:
- Corporate development, planning, implementation, coordination of technical programmes ;
- Managerial experience in a technical environmental programme;
- Working knowledge of socio- economic environmental issues.
- Demonstrable through understanding of Environmental Laws of Uganda.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Maintaining objectivity and independence
- Good morals and high level of integrity
- Good management and supervisory skills
- Coordinating/ networking and negotiation skills
- High level of confidentiality
- Capacity to work with minimum supervision
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- High ethics, integrity and confidentiality
- Good reporting skills
- Proven ability to work under pressure and to make accurate and informed decisions.
- Excellent analytical and coordinating skills
- Ability to work independently and with strong organizational and planning skills.
- Honesty, Courtesy,
- On time response to instructions.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their hand written applications together with copies of certificates/ testimonials and detailed curriculum vitae indicating three professional referees addressed to:-
The Executive Director,
National Environment Management Authority (NEMA),
NEMA House, Plot 17/19/21 Jinja Road,
P.O. Box 22255, Kampala. Uganda
Note: The job title applied for should be printed at the top left hand side of the envelope.
Deadline: 28 April, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline