Job Title: Compliance Manager
Organisation: University Research Co., LLC (URC)
Project Name: USAID Applying Science to Strengthen and Improve Systems (ASSIST) Project
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Chief of Party
University Research Co., LLC (URC) is a global company dedicated to improving the quality of health care, social services, and health education worldwide. With a non-profit affiliate, the Center for Human Services (CHS), URC manages projects in over 45 countries, including the United States.
About USAID ASSIST Project:
The USAID Applying Science to Strengthen and Improve Systems (ASSIST) Project is QPI’s leading project that is dedicated to improving health, population and nutrition services through technical support to service delivery institutions, country Ministries of Health, USAID country missions, and cooperating agencies. The project carries on the work of the USAID Health Care Improvement Project and is focused on building the capacity of host country providers and managers to apply modern quality improvement methods, make essential services accessible to all who need them, and ensure that care is delivered in compliance with standards and client needs, for every client, every time. An important global objective of the ASSIST Project is knowledge management: to facilitate documentation and sharing of evidence for improvement of specific care processes, based on the work of individual QI teams, large-scale improvement efforts, and/or research, and to make this information readily available through Web technology. The USAID ASSIST project in Uganda is a nationwide project supporting quality improvement activities. In the 15 districts in Northern Uganda, the USAID ASSIST project also supports capacity building activities.
Job Summary: The Compliance Manager will be responsible for compliance in finance, procurement, Program, Administration and HR departments. The incumbent will be responsible for ensuring current systems of control are in place to satisfy donor and URC rules and regulations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Keenly reviews financial reports, accounting records and all financial documents including petty cash books, vouchers and all other supporting documents for project work.
- Travels to Gulu office to audit operational and financial systems, administration records, and accountability procedures for 70% of their time.
- Regularly review Procurement documents and activities to ensure compliance with URC policies and procedures and USAID Rules and Regulations.
- Review different staff roles to ensure that there is segregation of duties to provide for double checks.
- Check a sample of general ledger transactions monthly to ensure donor compliance - typically high value purchase/tenders, flights, assets, eligible and ineligible costs, donor specific restricted items or prior approvals etc.
- Review monthly journal adjustments to ensure that the audit trail is in line with URC guidelines and clearly understandable if tested during a donor audit.
- Ensure the allocation basis is reasonable and supported by documentation (donor budgets etc.) and advise if there is any signs of unreasonable / unsupported allocation bases that need to be amended.
- Review monthly Timesheet Tracking Sheet for all staff and test labour costs charged to USAID to ensure they are adequately supported time sheets (reconcile with leave, training etc.) and employment contracts;
- Keenly review Payroll and ensure that right codes are charged in relation to timesheets and allocations, and right figures are paid on a monthly basis.
- Check whether policies and procedures are written down and followed including delegation of authority in signing all financial and non-financial documents e.g cheques. Purchase orders, contracts, vouchers etc.
- Review all Budgets and Projections/ cash flow forecasts to ensure that procedure is followed.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Commerce. Business Administration, Auditing or financial Management
- Member of an accounting body like ACCA, ICPAU, CIA, and CPA will be an added advantage.
- At least five years’ working experience in accounting or auditing with USAID funded projects.
- Detailed Knowledge of USAID Rules and Regulations.
- Sound judgment and analytical skills.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of QuickBooks or two or more accounting software and proficiency in Excel, Word and presentation packages;
- Good oral and written communication in English and an ability to write concise and clear reports;
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills and an ability to gather information from different (sometimes conflicting) sources, and synthesize it to arrive at an accurate picture of the situation;
- An independent frame of mind and the ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Knowledge and experience of relevant local laws
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send application letters, updated CVs, and relevant academic documents as well as names and contact information for three professional references and day time contact numbers to:
The Human Resource Officer- USAID ASSIST Project,
University Research Co., LLC, Plot 40, Ntinda II Road, Naguru,
P.O. Box 28745, Kampala, Uganda.
E-mail to: email@example.com
Deadline: 22nd April 2016
NB: Please indicate the position in the subject if you are sending electronically. Applications will be shortlisted as they come in and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline