Job Title: Community Health Officer – WASH
Organisation: Action Against Hunger (ACF)
Duty Station: Uganda
Action Against Hunger (ACF) is an International Humanitarian NGO which has been in existence for over thirty years. ACF has been implementing Food Security and Livelihoods, Nutrition, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene programs in the Lango, Acholi, West Nile and Karamoja regions of Northern Uganda.
Job Summary: The Community Health Officer – WASH will be responsible for promoting recommended hygiene and sanitation practices among South Sudanese refugee communities and host communities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Technical Support:
- Offer support in hygiene and sanitation promotion activities conducted by school hygiene clubs within the refugee catchment area.
- Conduct a WASH gap analysis for institutions and communities as identified by ACF
- Work closely with the nutrition officers, oversee the distribution of WASH kits to selected IMAM program beneficiaries
- Mobilize refugee and host communities for sensitization on hygiene and sanitation through community dialogues, music and drama and other such mass sensitization events
- Supervise hygiene promotion activities at health facilities and community level
- Assist in the dissemination of relevant IEC materials on WASH
2. Capacity Building:
- Identify WASH related training needs for VHTs, lead mothers and hygiene club members on nutrition and health and organize the necessary trainings
- Actively participate in development of IECs on WASH
- Provide WASH education to project staff and other support personnel
- Assist in regular on-job mentorship and support of hygiene clubs, Village Health Teams and lead mothers in hygiene promotion at community level
3. Assessment and Reporting:
- Actively participate in WASH KAP assessments conducted within the catchment area.
- Ensure regular collection of household WASH data, compilation and reporting
- Ensure regular and timely monthly reporting among the VHTs on the project activities among VHTs in the catchment area
- Oversee reporting on project progress, success stories and lessons learned during project implementation.
4. Staff Management & Supervision:
- Ensure regular attendance of staff under your supervision (VHTs for example)
- Conduct on job mentorship and supervision supported staff.
- Actively participate in monthly VHT meetings and provide regular feedback on the matters discussed.
5. Coordination & Representation:
- Mobilize communities and community leaders to participate in ACF project in community activities and organize regular community meetings to address areas for program improvement
- Participate in internal and external meetings according to the PM guidance
- Work closely with the district VHT coordinator to ensure active engagement of VHTs in the catchment area.
- Actively participate in events organized in the refugee and host community setting
- Coordinate with other sections of ACF and all other stakeholders in the response
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Action Against Hunger (ACF) Community Health Officer – WASH career opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, Environmental Health or related field
- At least three years’ experience in WASH, Nutrition or Public Health.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in implementation of WASH promotion methodologies
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English
- Knowledge of word processor, Spreadsheet and software use like ENA, SPSS Plus other program advantageous.
- Excellent facilitation skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently
- Extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations
- Excellent reporting skills with good oral and written communication skills
- Diplomatic and culturally sensitive
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in the local language is a must (Kiryandongo)
- Possession of a valid riding permit
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications which should include ONLY a cover letter, CV (not more than 4 pages) with at least three referees and a daytime telephone contract. For email applications please note that attached documents should not be larger than 2MBs. All documents should be zipped in one folder. Any email larger than 2MBS will not be considered. Please send your email application to: email@example.com mentioning Community Health Officer – WASH in the subject line.
Deadline: Thursday, 21st April 2016 by 5:00 pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline