Job Title: Communications Officer
Organisation: World Vision International
Reports to: Communications Manager
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
World Vision Uganda is a Christian Relief, Development and Advocacy Non-Government Organization dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in over 41 districts in Uganda. World Vision is committed to the protection of children and we will not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with children. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible. “Our Vision for every child, Life in all its fullness. Our prayer for every Heart, the will to make it so.”
Job Summary: The Communications Officer will take charge of the National Office servicing of WVKorea donors who primarily support major fundraisings. The expected results will be increased financial support of NO programs; increased awareness of, and advocacy for the National Office programs and strategy by WVU Korea donors; as well as mutual transformation (donors and beneficiaries, as well as WV Korea and NO staff). The incumbent will also collaborate and support the Communications team in programme documentation through gathering resources (significant change stories, photography, videos) and media visibility.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Keeping the WVK Promise to Donors by researching, planning and providing high quality deliverables that demonstrate program impact at the individual beneficiary level (such as beneficiary impact stories, photos and video footage) for projects funded by WV Korea donors. These need to tell the story of Transformational Development in a way that is understandable to the Korea donor and helps move their heart towards deeper involvement and commitment to funding WV ministry.
- These “deliverables” will be determined by WVKorea.
- Multiple meetings (skype or phone) with WV Korea Staff to fully understand the story and resource objectives
- Meet, plan and collaborate with NO program staff to identify effective impact ideas and recommendations.
- The jobholder will visit multiple ADPs to meet staff and beneficiaries
- Research and interview beneficiaries
- Send identified cases (suitable child case stories) to WV Korea before each filming visit
- Prepare appropriate and strategic approach to resource gathering. This includes, but is not limited to, accommodations, meals, and transportation.
- In charge of preparing appropriate and strategic welcome packets for donors. These welcome packets should be customized for each individual Vision Trip.
- Ensure proper logistics are in place well before the planned Trip dates. This includes, but is not limited to, accommodations, meals, and transportation, acquiring permission from government, acquiring consent from child, family, schools, health posts or other potential areas for filming
- Ensure that all financial arrangements for the trip (prior, during, and following) are properly handled
- Following the filming visit, submit proposal on support for filmed child/family
- Prepare and submit final report on the support provided for the filmed child/family
- Support visiting team during filming (interpretation, and other logistics)
- During the field trip visits, meet with the WVKorea trip host (fund raiser) on a daily for debrief and plan the next day.
- During filming support with interpretation, securing consent forms and other logistical requirements
- Support in achieving the WVU strategy through documentation of promising best practices and most significant change stories.
- Coordinate the process of identifying, documentation and dissemination of most significant change stories, and promising best practices using multimedia platforms
- Support field teams in integrating documentation and communication to effectively draw lessons and change stories in line with the strategy
- Actively participate in technical programme and ADP assessments and designs to ensure integration of documentation, communication and dissemination strategies
- Support communications in sourcing for marketing/fundraising materials in form of stories, photographs and videos
- Support sponsorship produce quality Sponsorship 2.0 resources.
- Support in promoting World Vision Uganda’s visibility
- Travel to Korea to represent NO at Major Donor Fundraising events. Donor Liaisons often become “the face of a National Office” to donors. When donors host large events for prospective new donors, they often request the presence of a donor liaison to tell the story of WV in their National office
- Support fundraising efforts through presentations to selected donor group, such as major donor fundraising events, and Korea Churches, as required.
- Ensure WV Korea donors fundraising teams/campaigns receive optimal service from all necessary NO departments, which may including the National Director, Senior Leadership Team, Sector Leaders, ADP Managers, Operations, Sponsorship, Communications, Finance and others.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the World Vision Communications Officer career opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communications/Journalism, Community Development, or related field of study preferred.
- Skilled in personal computing, email and general office productivity software (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite) and other programs for uploading and downloading information
- Broad knowledge and understanding of transformational/community development
- Additional knowledge, skills and abilities
- Familiarity with transformational development and ability to translate technical language into language that is easily understandable by donors – required
- Excellent communication and public relations skills with strong English language capability (written and oral) and ability to clearly communicate complex ideas and principles required
- Previous experience with personal computing, email and general office productivity software (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite) required
- Experience hosting or working with Korea groups of donors or visitors highly preferred
- Previous exposure and experience with non-government organization preferred
- English writing experience with a news agency, marketing organization, NGO or International organization preferred
- Proven technical experience with video and still photography preferred
- High level of cross-cultural interpersonal skill, personal maturity, and proven ability to influence multiple stakeholders preferred
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities at the same time preferred
- Must be available for significant travel time to projects
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 50% of the time.
NB: This Position is open to Ugandan Nationals only.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply online by visiting World Vision International’s e-recruitment jobs portal at the web link below.
NB: Please follow instructions on How to Create Account and Profile at World Vision’s e-recruitment portal. Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 25th April 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline