Job Title: Business Development Specialist
Organization: Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-profit organization that carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States (U.S) to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
Job Summary: The Business Development Specialist will offer technical support in the expansion and diversification of revenue from institutional donors and non-traditional funding sources to achieve CRS’ strategic objectives. The incumbent will operate as a member of both CRS’ Uganda Country Program (CP) and CRS’ East African Regional Office (EARO) Business Development Team, providing direct support to strategic growth opportunities as well as helping to strengthen CRS’ Business Development-related systems, processes, relationships and staff capacities. The Business Development Specialist will support the agency’s competitive pursuit of institutional donor resources. With a core function of supporting the non-technical writing and production of high quality applications for donor funding, this position will also provide specialized assistance in other dimensions of the business development cycle, knowledge of specific program sectors or funding sources including corporate and other non-traditional sources, or other relevant areas to be determined in recognition of agency needs. He or she will focus on CRS Uganda with support to other country programs in East Africa, while also contributing to cross-regional and global initiatives as part of the agency’s worldwide business development team. Within three years it is expected that this position will evolve in functional scope as CRS moves toward a global shared services structure for business development.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support Uganda CP with support to other EARO CP to manage proposal processes to ensure timely submission of high quality proposals that are responsive to and compliant with donor requirements and with CRS technical application and cost application standards.
- Provide business development skill and capacity in opportunity analysis, positioning and capture planning, proposal preparation, proposal review and after action review to foster an environment of learning in the project cycle.
- Technically support personnel recruitment, budget development and non-technical proposal writing as part of proposal teams.
- Support effective internal communication and information management processes to ensure access and use of business development information by relevant stakeholders within the CP, EARO and the agency.
- Support Country Program in the identification of international partners and negotiation of CRS’ role on proposal consortia, ensuring a competitive position for CRS that adheres to the agency’s partnership principles and strategic directions.
- Significantly contribute to the development and dissemination of standardized business development materials (learning resources, guidelines, tools and templates and online information), through staff mentorship, modelling of good practices and training.
- Support the Uganda CP, with support to other EARO CP, to develop appropriate and effective fundraising strategies involving donor research and intelligence, product development, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, as needed.
- Support the country program, regional and headquarters teams to leverage CRS’ programmatic and operational results for direct fundraising purposes.
- Actively contribute to opportunity pipeline tracking and analysis, including portfolio trends, proposal submissions and performance and growth projections.
- Keenly track country-level and regional growth trends, regional reports to CRS headquarters and monthly call CP business development call with EARO team on business development.
- Support CRS senior managers to develop and maintain key relationships with donors, collaborating organizations and private sector actors with an eye toward opportunity identification, shared value creation, strategic alliance formation and global brand positioning.
- Provide specialized expertise in select areas of the business development cycle, priority program sectors and funding sources, and/or relevant cross-cutting skill sets, as a member of CRS’ global pool of business development talent.
- Contribute effectively to global strategic initiatives through a shared services structure.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Catholic Relief Services CRS Business Development Specialist career opportunity should hold a Master’s degree in business management, international relations, international development, or related field.
- At least five years international development experience, including at least three years of work in a developing country.
- Working knowledge of business development and fundraising concepts and practice within the foreign aid and/or non-profit contexts.
- Proven exposure and experience in utilizing diverse, proactive strategies to competitively position his/her organization for new funding and productive institutional relationships.
- Proven exposure and experience in leading teams and managing people and processes to produce complex proposals under tight deadlines and at exceptional quality.
- Significant experience developing proposals in response to USAID RFAs and required with comprehensive experience with USAID technical and cost applications.
- Previous experience in developing technical and cost applications for USAID RFPs, non-USG funding mechanisms and opportunities to create shared cross-sector value highly desirable.
- Previous experience building the capacity of, and providing effective technical assistance and guidance to, peers and colleagues required; knowledge of instructional design and adult learning principles and/or direct training experience highly desirable.
- Previous experience with CRS programming approaches, standards and tools preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication and negotiation skills.
- Excellent analytical skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office required; experience with Salesforce or other CRM software a plus.
- Excellent analytical and information management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication in English, and strong interpersonal, networking, and representation skills
- Strong team leadership, process and time management skills
- Show commitment to working successfully within a geographically disperse, cross-disciplinary, matrix team structure
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 30%, and to function within an evolving global shared services structure that enables shared accountability, cultivation and strategic use of staff talent and efficient management of resources for growth.
- Foreign Language: English fluency (written and verbal) required; competence in French, Spanish or Portuguese highly desirable.
Agency-Wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff): These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should apply online at the web link below.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline