Job Title: Accountant (Senior Accountant)
Organization: RTI International
Project Name: USAID Literacy Achievement and Retention Activity Program (LARA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Finance and Administration Manager
RTI International is one of the world’s leading research institutes, dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. Our staff of more than 3,700 provides research and technical services to governments and businesses in more than 75 countries in the areas of health and pharmaceuticals, education and training, surveys and statistics, advanced technology, international development, economic and social policy, energy and the environment, and laboratory testing and chemical analysis.
About USAID LARA Program:
The Literacy Achievement and Retention Activity is a five-year USAID activity that supports the Ministry of Education Science Technology and Sports (MoESTS), Government of Uganda’s aim of improving early grade reading outcomes and enhancing safe school environments for children in primary grades utilizing EGR curriculum and methodologies. LARA is expanding the curriculum and methodologies developed and rolled out in SHRP districts to an additional 28 districts and will work with partners to improve reading skills in three local languages (Luganda, Runyoro/ Rutoro, Runyankole/ Rukiga) and English for early primary grades.
Job Summary: The Accountant will provide financial management and accounting support in line with USAID and RTI International standard operating procedures. Responsibilities will include payroll preparation and management, cash management, vendor payments, budgeting and other related expenditures. The Accountant will ensure that essential finance tasks are implemented properly including disbursing funds, checking account operations, budgeting, and reporting on the use of project funds. This position must maintain proper internal controls and ensure compliance. S/he will prepare and submit monthly financial statements (including expenses, receivable and payables). The position will also be responsible for ensuring timely submission of expense reports, bank reconciliations and wire transfer requests to corporate headquarters in the US and/or to RTI’s regional office in Nairobi. The Accountant will also prepare monthly cash requirements, monitor cash flow, and reconcile cash accounts to maintain appropriate cash balances. An important duty of the role will be the managing and monitoring performance of office petty cash system. The Accountant will also work closely with the Logistician to ensure contractual and financial integrity of the Project’s procurement, inventory control and tracking of project equipment. This jobholder will support activities in the districts through helping the Finance Assistants to reconcile Field Assistant financial needs with Project requirements.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In charge of the management of finances and administration of the program and ensure compliance with RTI financial procedures
- Responsible for the preparation and submission of monthly financial statements (including expenses, receivable and payables)
- Ensure timely submission of expense reports, bank reconciliations and wire transfer requests to corporate headquarters in the US and/or to RTI’s regional office in Nairobi
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual expenditure reports and preparation of pipeline estimates for the project
- In charge of the preparation of monthly cash requirements, monitor cash flow and reconcile cash accounts to maintain appropriate cash balances
- Managing and monitoring performance of office petty cash system
- Work closely with the Logisticians to ensure contractual and financial integrity of project’s procurements, inventory control and tracking of project equipment
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Support the Finance Assistants to reconcile Field Assistant financial needs in line with the project requirements
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants for the USAID LARA Project Accountant job opportunity should hold a Master’s degree with three years’ experience or a Bachelor’s Degree with six years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Broad working knowledge of institutional accounting and budgeting practices, especially those used by USAID and Audit experiences is an added advantage
- Willingness and enthusiasm to work as part of a team
- Superior integrity, work habits, and ability to beat deadlines
- Discreet in the judgment and management of confidential matters, materials and sensitive issues.
- Ability to resolve problem situations in a tactful and effective way.
- Ability to understand and interpret policies and procedures.
- Ability to function independently and carry out routine responsibilities with minimal supervision
- Computer literacy i.e. proficient in MS Excel and working knowledge of accounting software is preferable. Accpac proficiency would be a plus.
- Ability to follow guidelines and controls required of the position
- Ability to monitor progress of a project against milestones or deadlines double-checks the accuracy of information to discover weakness or missing data and strive for high quality performance.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send updated CVs including three work related referees and cover letters to the Human Resource Manager by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails should not exceed 2MB.
Deadline: 20th April, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline