Job Title: Academic Coordinator - STM
Organisation: Uganda Christian University (UCU)
Duty Station: Mukono, Uganda
Uganda Christian University was founded when the historic Bishop Tucker Theological College was promoted as a university in 1997. Bishop Tucker Theological College trained clergy and educators during its 84-year history from 1913-1997. The local chief, Hamu Mukasa, granted land for the college to operate in Mukono. International partnerships were part of the College’s missionary history. The Church Mission Society teamed with Ugandan leaders and others to assure the College had the necessary intellectual and other capital. By the late 1990s, the Church of Uganda sought to have a broader impact on society through the higher education - not only of clergy but of other professionals as well. Uganda Christian University was established in 1997.
In 2004, the Government of Uganda granted a charter to Uganda Christian University – the highest level of national accreditation. UCU was the first private University to receive such a charter from the Government.
Save the Mothers (Master of Public Health Leadership) is a program of the Uganda Christian University which began in 2005 in order to train multidisciplinary professionals to be advocates for safe motherhood within their various fields of influence.
Job Summary: The Academic Coordinator -STM will be the academic lead for the Master of Public Health Leadership program at the Uganda Christian University.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be responsible for the coordination of student research activities related to the students` final dissertations. This includes being available to assist with student project proposals and research dissertations and give support to their organization and coordination.
- Supervise student research (approximately 3 students per academic year).
- Teaching in postgraduate program (MPHL) (in their area of expertise);
- Generate academic timetable for each module of teaching;
- Coordinate faculty for each course taught per module;
- Be responsible for the review and implementation of student exams for each module;
- Take responsibility for student marks—their completion and accuracy as much as possible including the preparation of student marks to be submitted to Senate;
- Be available to assist with student project proposals and research dissertations and give support to their organization and coordination as needed;
- Supervise student research (approximately 3 students per academic year);
- Maintain financial responsibility for student research grants;
- Coordinate student affairs such as the overseeing of student benefits including meals and accommodation;
- Take leadership in any student disciplinary issues;
- Manage academic issues such as production of timetables, receiving feedback from students re program and maintaining audio-visual equipment required for the program to function (eg. laptops, LCD projectors);
- Participate in other administrative roles assigned to the MPHL coordinator as assigned by the University;
- Represent STM at university Forums for academic issues;
- Perform any other official duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a relevant degree or equivalent to a Masters of Public Health, Master of Clinical Epidemiology or Master of Medicine (Ob/Gyn);
- The candidate must have experience in teaching (at a post-secondary level) as well as managing academic issues at an institute of higher education.
- He/she will have administrative skills and be people-oriented;
- Good leadership skills: the position requires an individual who has good leadership skills and is able to share a vision with others. It is desirable for the candidate to have some formal training in leadership (or be willing to purpose additional training in leadership);
- Shared faith: the successful candidate will be a committed Christian who adheres to the principles and tenants of the Uganda Christian University.
How to Apply:
All applicants are encouraged to send two (2) copies of an application letter together with an updated Curriculum Vitae and three references i.e. academic, leadership and pastoral. Please attach two (2) copies of academic and professional certificates and transcripts.
The Manager, Human Resource & Administration,
Uganda Christian University,
P.O. Box 4, Mukono, Uganda
Deadline: 6th May, 2016 by 5:00PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline