Job Title: Counsellor (60 Fresher Jobs)
Organisation: Ministry of Health (MOH)
Funding Source: United States Government’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Team Lead
The Ministry of Health (MOH) in collaboration with iCAP at Columbia University received funding from the United States Government’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to implement the Uganda Population-based HIV Impact Assessment (UPHIA) survey. The main goal of the survey is to get a better understanding on the impact of public health interventions on the burden of HIV at national level. The survey will enroll approximately 35,000 participants across the entire country over a period of at least 7 months. ACLAIM Africa Limited, a Ugandan Management Firm is a Fiduciary Agent for the UPHIA Project.
Job Summary: The Counsellor will provide quality HIV testing and counselling services. The jobholder will be responsible for air home based counselling and testing activities in the ousehold such as pre-test counselling, return of results of rapid tests performed in the household such as HIV, Hepatitis B and syphilis, post-test counselling and HIV risk assessments, in addition to interviewing roles.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The jobholder will collect all materials needed for fieldwork.
- Safely maintain the tablet and ensure that it is charged when needed.
- Complete interviews on the tablets with accuracy and reasonable speed.
- Approach participants as assigned by Team Leader.
- Carry out interview consent procedures using the tablet.
- Conduct individual interviews using the tablet.
- Conduct biomarker consent procedures using the tablet.
- Provide HIV testing and counseling services at the household level
- Prepare participants to take the HiV, Hepatitis and syphilis test by carrying out pre-test counseling
- Assess and explore participant’s HIV risk and offer risk reduction options
- Provide appropriate post-test counselling and referrals
- Identify who need referrals and complete the relevant referral form.
- Inform the Team Leader of interviews completed and partially completed on a daily basis.
- Schedule return visits for any incomplete interviews.
- May be assigned team lead roles.
- Perform any other duties as assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants for the Counsellor jobs should hold Diplomas in social sciences, biological sciences, or related field.
- Preference given to those with HIV testing and counselling certification.
- Computer proficiency i.e. ability to work with computers and tablets.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Past experience working in large population surveys and/or census is desirable.
- Ability to work on the program continuously for at least 7 months.
- Attend all technical trainings as outlined by survey Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Willingness and commitment to work away from home and travel continuously.
- Must be able to organize oneself and work independent of close supervision.
- Good team worker and player.
- Applicants should be available for immediate training.
- All applicants should be able to read and write in English and at least one of the seven (7) major local languages spoken in Uganda namely; Ateso, Karamajong, Luganda, Lugbara, Luo, Runyakole-Rukiga and Runyoro-Rutoro.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should send their applications including a cover letter, Curriculum Vitae and copies of academic certificates and send to:
ACLAIM Africa Ltd,
Plot M99 Nakasero Hill Lane,
P.O. Box 7202, Kampala, Uganda,
Email to: email@example.com
Deadline: 17th April, 2016
NB: If you have not heard from us by the end of May 2016, please consider your application unsuccessful although it may be kept on file for future reference.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline